Question - partitioning hard drive on Tibook for DV editing

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by roy_g_biv, Nov 19, 2003.

1. roy_g_biv macrumors newbie

i've had a tibook for about a year now, and i'm starting to use it for video editing in my film classes. the instructor for my digital class said that for video editing it's best to partition your HD and use a separate partition for DV files. so here is where i need help...

what's the best way of partitioning a hard drive without losing all of my old files? i have about a years worth of files stored on my hard drive, as well as FCP4 and AE. how should i partition it? it's 40gigs, (i understand 40 isn't a lot) how much is enough to leave for DV? how much for the OS? where do i store my iApps/editing apps? I'm running jaguar now. would upgrading to panther be a benefit? should i just not bother at all?? any and all suggestions/help welcome!

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I dont know if you can repartition a mac with out destroying the data. Lots of non-destructive editors for the PC, i dont know of any for mac. I would say get an external drive, partition it in 2, make the first partition for DV and the second for backup cause you never know when a drive may fail and backup is a good habit. But you may have to reformat, so it might not be worth the trouble.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Partitioning your internal drive won't help any because it is still one physical drive that's being required to do a lot. You'll need to get an external FW drive. Get at least a 120gig 7200RPM HDD (perferebly w/an 8meg cache) and make sure the FW enclosure is using the Oxford 911 chipset and you should be set.

Lethal

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Actually, why people partition drives for video (or audio) is because both types of media need a big empty drive as to not become fragmented. But yeah, your Powerbook probably only runs a 4200RPM harddisk. I suggest a FW drive as well, at least 7200RPM. I like the ADS Pyro drive kit (http://www.adstech.com/) because it's upgradable, but it is fairly large (bulky) and requires both a power and a FW cable. So if portability is in order, I suggest the http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10023