Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
My friend has this model of iMac.. and I have tried to put 2x 8GB sticks into it to replace the 2x 2GB of OEM.. Supposedly, from any and all info I can find, it is capable of recognizing and using 16 GB of RAM, but is there ANY reason that it must be configured as 4x 4GB perhaps, as opposed to the 2x 8GB Sticks I am trying now..?? :confused:

** When the RAM is inserted, it powers up and NEVER goes past 'the Start-Up Apple' mid-screen.. and I have tested the RAM, it does work fine in my 2011 MBP, which uses the same spec RAM..

Thanks you for any and all replies.. if someone can help much me to cipher this one, much appreciated.. Have a Great Day!! :apple:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 66

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
It can go up to 32 GB see below in screenshot.

First things to do is to reset PRAM And SMC.

Hmmmm.. Well OK then.. ** Is that really your Screenshot [not familiar with those graphics] ie. Do you actually have first hand knowledge of this machine (it is a Low End i3 as noted above) running 32GB..?? If so, much appreciated, as then 2x 8GB must be able to function, obviously!!

And I did do the Reset at the time, machine was of course also Powered Off for several minutes during RAM replacement.. I guess I'll just try again on weekend..

Thanks for the Help here, I will get back after I give it another go!! :D

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hmmmm.. Well OK then.. ** Is that really your Screenshot [not familiar with those graphics] ie. Do you actually have first hand knowledge of this machine (it is a Low End i3 as noted above) running 32GB..?? If so, much appreciated, as then 2x 8GB must be able to function, obviously!!

And I did do the Reset at the time, machine was of course also Powered Off for several minutes during RAM replacement.. I guess I'll just try again on weekend..

Thanks for the Help here, I will get back after I give it another go!! :D

That shot is from a free program called MacTracker, it has almost all Hardware Apple ever made in it's dataBase.

You can download it here.

Mactracker - Get Info on any Mac

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
OK.. Appreciated.. but is that a shot OF your own i3 iMac, and the RAM that is actually in it..??

And accordingly, I know many who swear by the site/link I posted of EveryMac.com and they say 16 GB..

Thanks again for the help, and sorry about the questions, just trying to confirm 'first hand use' here, so I am sure what is being stated when I get to it again.. Stay Well!!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
OK.. Appreciated.. but is that a shot OF your own i3 iMac, and the RAM that is actually in it..??

And accordingly, I know many who swear by the site/link I posted of EveryMac.com and they say 16 GB..

Thanks again for the help, and sorry about the questions, just trying to confirm 'first hand use' here, so I am sure what is being stated when I get to it again.. Stay Well!!

No, it is a database of all apple's stuff ever made, if you choose a powerbook it will have the specs of that one, if it's a MBP it's the specs of that one.

So, the screenshot is of your machine, it's similar to the site you go to, you search for a MBP mid 2008 ... and it will show you just that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There have been a few instances where MacTracker differs from EveryMac.com, such as this case. After years of using both, I've learned to trust EveryMac.com more, as I've seen MacTracker slow to update and erroneous more often than I've seen errors on EveryMac.com.

Also, be aware you can install more RAM than your model will handle. It will appear in System Profiler, but checking the System Memory tab of Activity Monitor will show you how much RAM is actually being used.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
There have been a few instances where MacTracker differs from EveryMac.com, such as this case. After years of using both, I've learned to trust EveryMac.com more, as I've seen MacTracker slow to update and erroneous more often than I've seen errors on EveryMac.com.

Also, be aware you can install more RAM than your model will handle. It will appear in System Profiler, but checking the System Memory tab of Activity Monitor will show you how much RAM is actually being used.

Ahha.. Thanks you as well GGJ.. ** That being the case, have you EVER encountered a 'newer' iMac (such as the one I mention above, mid-2010, but only an i3 model) that says it can take 16GB, but as mentioned would there be any reason that it could NOT be in 2x 8GB sticks, and would need to use ALL four (4) Slots, with I suppose a 4GB stick in each..??

I will get to try to install again over the weekend I hope, and will get back with my findings.. If I do get the 16GB recognized, I will try to ADD the OEM 2x 2GB to the other Slots and then see what shows up!! Appreciate the help as always.. Stay Well and Warm wherever you may be!!

** BTW: Currently -27ºC and Windy near me, 'feels like' -37ºC with the Windchill added.. YAY!! :eek:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ahha.. Thanks you as well GGJ.. ** That being the case, have you EVER encountered a 'newer' iMac (such as the one I mention above, mid-2010, but only an i3 model) that says it can take 16GB, but as mentioned would there be any reason that it could NOT be in 2x 8GB sticks, and would need to use ALL four (4) Slots, with I suppose a 4GB stick in each..??
No, you can install RAM in pretty much any configuration, using 2 or 4 slots. There is a slight performance benefit in using matched pairs of RAM modules.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Sorry, I may have 'worded that oddly' but do you think/ have you ever heard of any instance where a 'newer' computer, supposedly Capable of Using 16GB of RAM, could NOT have it configured as 2x 8GB and therefore (I guess) needed it to be ONLY used as 4x 4GB Sticks to reach that 16GB target..??

Hope that makes sense.. :eek:

Thanks again!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry, I may have 'worded that oddly' but do you think/ have you ever heard of any instance where a 'newer' computer, supposedly Capable of Using 16GB of RAM, could NOT have it configured as 2x 8GB and therefore (I guess) needed it to be ONLY used as 4x 4GB Sticks to reach that 16GB target..??
As I said, no. You can install RAM in 1, 2, 3 or all 4 slots. If you're installing 16GB, it could be 2x8GB or 4x4GB. If you're having problems getting the RAM to be recognized, you could have defective/damaged RAM sticks or you could have a defective/damaged RAM slot.

Last edited:

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
OK.. Cool.. I just wondered if there was some 'unseen' Maximum Capacity Per Slot that I was unable to find listed.. :apple:

I understand the rest pretty well I think, and have done several RAM installs in the past 5 years without a hitch.. This one is my first 'RAM rejection' and baffled me.. although, admittedly I was only able to Install-Try and then Replace with Original so my friend could use it, all took 20 minutes or so then had to pack up and go..

Thanks again, Good Night or Good Morning to you!! ;)

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
If you're having problems getting the RAM to be recognized, you could have defective/damaged RAM sticks or you could have a defective/damaged RAM slot.

No, I thought that as well, but the RAM actually worked fine in my 2011 MBP (I tried later that night, same spec 1333-10,600) and the OEM 2x 2GB sticks came out of the same slots, 2x 8GB went in and didn't work, then put the OEM back in and it worked fine again.. I checked, they were Seated well.. Very Odd.. :confused:

** Do you know if it matters WHICH of the 4 Slots are used, if only using 2 of..?? ** I do not know the Numbering Config of iMac slots, but it was the 2 Slots toward the Screen/Front of the computer that the OEM were in, I used those same ones for the replacement 2x 8GB..

I will try the Other 2 Slots if you think AOK/ suggest that I do so..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
** Do you know if it matters WHICH of the 4 Slots are used, if only using 2 of..?? ** I do not know the Numbering Config of iMac slots, but it was the 2 Slots toward the Screen/Front of the computer that the OEM were in, I used those same ones for the replacement 2x 8GB..

I will try the Other 2 Slots if you think AOK/ suggest that I do so..
I don't recall, but it won't hurt to try.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
I don't recall, but it won't hurt to try.

Perfect.. I always 'assumed' that it would not hurt anything, but never knew if it might not Power Up or Perform properly as it were.. I'll try and then Reply on what happens, as I am grateful for all the help and ideas here..

Take Care and Thanks Kindly again!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.