Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehpwnerer19

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
I was thinking about paying the $99 to get the Mac OS Developer account so I could get Lion. With the developer account do you get the final retail version of the software as well, or just all of the betas, etc.? Thanks in advance.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I was thinking about paying the $99 to get the Mac OS Developer account so I could get Lion. With the developer account do you get the final retail version of the software as well, or just all of the betas, etc.? Thanks in advance.

You do get the gold master version as well. I hope you don't break the NDA you electronically signed and agreed to.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010

I've been asking the same question, and from what I've gotten, you do get the golden master, which is the same as the retail release. What I have yet to get answered, is whether or not the GM will update through software update, like the public release.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
The NDA bit?

A non-disclosure agreement.

Why is the question posted related to a non-disclosure agreement? We're just wondering if you basically get a working public release of Lion when the time comes, if you pay the $99 for a developer account. Is whether or not you receive the golden master + updates a huge secret or something?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Why is the question posted related to a non-disclosure agreement? We're just wondering if you basically get a working public release of Lion when the time comes, if you pay the $99 for a developer account. Is whether or not you receive the golden master + updates a huge secret or something?

OP posted a question pertinent to the developer program.

The question was responded, with a reminder that s/he should not violate the NDA said party electronically signed.

Many people are signing up to breech the NDA. I've already seen at least 1 developer had his access privileges revoked from the iOS program.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
OP posted a question pertinent to the developer program.

The question was responded, with a reminder that s/he should not violate the NDA said party electronically signed.

Many people are signing up to breech the NDA. I've already seen at least 1 developer had his access privileges revoked from the iOS program.

I'm really not sure what part of the OP's post suggests s/he is going to breach the NDA.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Can anyone tell me if there are different developer accounts? If I pay $99, do I get access to ios and os x builds or are they separate things?

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
What happens if you end your subscription ends after a year, do you have to buy retail Lion or do you just update to normal versions?

tehpwnerer19

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
So you know, I have no intentions of breaking the nda, I just want lion for my own personal use, and just want to make sure it will maintain full operation once it goes GM, i.e., software update updates Lion as well as installed software.

tourada

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Idaho
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Not in and of itself. But by posting screen shots or videos (or even revealing features) you are breaching the NDA and apple could revoke your license before the GM release if they find out/care to go through the trouble

tourada

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Idaho
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Not in and of itself. But by posting screen shots or videos (or even revealing features) you are breaching the NDA and apple could revoke your license before the GM release if they find out/care to go through the trouble

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
I've been asking the same question, and from what I've gotten, you do get the golden master, which is the same as the retail release. What I have yet to get answered, is whether or not the GM will update through software update, like the public release.
You answered your own question.

Does the retail release, which is the GM simply burned onto a DVD, get updates through Software Update? Thus, wouldn't it stand to reason that the GM downloaded as opposed to bought on a DVD get updates, too?

vultureboy

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Blackpool, UK
I don't think anyone here can give a 100% correct answer. They can guess and weigh up the odds from other Apple offerings but no one will be guaranteed to be correct!

The only way (at this point) you can be sure that you will have a copy of Lion that is fully functioning and will receive full updates is by waiting and purchasing the full version when it is released to the public.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
I don't think anyone here can give a 100% correct answer. They can guess and weigh up the odds from other Apple offerings but no one will be guaranteed to be correct!

The only way (at this point) you can be sure that you will have a copy of Lion that is fully functioning and will receive full updates is by waiting and purchasing the full version when it is released to the public.
No, the 100% correct answer is that ADC subscribers get access to the GM. In fact, they get it before everyone else because it usually takes a while for the GM to be pressed onto the many thousands of DVDs that then get shipped to Apple retail stores.

Log onto ADC right now and you can download the GM of Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

With all of the screen shots and details about Lion being posted all over these forums and the entire Internet, I'm starting to wonder if there's anyone who ISN'T breaking the NDA. :)

tourada

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Idaho
With all of the screen shots and details about Lion being posted all over these forums and the entire Internet, I'm starting to wonder if there's anyone who ISN'T breaking the NDA. :)

It's true:) I'm just saying from a legal standpoint, one could[ be held liable for breaching the NDA. If anyone has questions, study contract law. Prosecution or injunctions are left to the discretion of apple. From a personal standpoint, I don't care about breaching the NDA or anyone doing it for that matter. I'm just offering advice to those that are thinking about downloading a pirated version or posting videos/screenshots.

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
It wouldn't be worth Apple's time to go after the many hundreds of thousands of people who have now download Lion and posted screenshots.

Not to mention how many average Joe's have really even found the screenshots or would even care enough to look at them? Beyond the usual Apple and tech sites, it's not like mainstream media is posting Lion screenshots. The vast majority of people simply don't care enough.

Now, if every single tech site was giving out download links to the developer build instead of a few harmless screenshots, that would be an entirely different matter.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
It wouldn't be worth Apple's time to go after the many hundreds of thousands of people who have now download Lion and posted screenshots.

Not to mention how many average Joe's have really even found the screenshots or would even care enough to look at them? Beyond the usual Apple and tech sites, it's not like mainstream media is posting Lion screenshots. The vast majority of people simply don't care enough.

Now, if every single tech site was giving out download links to the developer build instead of a few harmless screenshots, that would be an entirely different matter.

True, but for iOS 4, they revoked a few people, for distributing them. Not sure how they found out though.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
It won't brick the phone. It will render it useless until you restore a build that is currently released or you get your UDID added to a developer's account.

tehpwnerer19

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
No, the 100% correct answer is that ADC subscribers get access to the GM. In fact, they get it before everyone else because it usually takes a while for the GM to be pressed onto the many thousands of DVDs that then get shipped to Apple retail stores.

Log onto ADC right now and you can download the GM of Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server.

What i really want to know though, is does the GM function just like the retail release, i.e., does it get updates through software update such as 10.7.1, 10.7.2, iTunes, Safari, security updates, etc.?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
What i really want to know though, is does the GM function just like the retail release, i.e., does it get updates through software update such as 10.7.1, 10.7.2, iTunes, Safari, security updates, etc.?

It does.

Glad to see you want to stick to the law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.