Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheChemist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Here's the story,

I have been using Win7 though VM, which was eligible for the free upgrade to 10. I would like to move away from the VM and have Win10 on a bootcamp now that Sierra is out.

Has anyone here done a similar migration? I suppose my question pertains to the activation license / key of going from VM to bootcamp.

Thanks for reading.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
If I am not mistaken, Windows 10 is a free upgrade but not a free download. If you have a product key for Windows 7, I don't see why you cannot install it through Boot Camp and then update to Windows 10 from there.

EDIT: It seems as though Windows 10 ISO can be directly downloaded from Microsoft's website, no strings attached.

Try your luck here: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10ISO

Reactions: TheChemist

mannyo1221

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Blandford, UK.
I think you'll find that a fresh install in bootcamp will be treated as a new computer because there will be too many hardware differences, eg. no virtual devices as they will all be physical. These hardware changes will invalidate the activation and you'll need to enter a new product key to activate.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I clean installed Windows 10 1511 (ISO) in Fusion and then later updated to Windows 10 AU 1607. Using my Windows 8 OEM product key it got activated right away. Installed yet another Windows 10 for testing ESET Smart Security Premium (alpha and later beta) and it just got activated with the digital license.

Then much later I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 AU 1607 just last week - even after the 29 juli timestamp - and that also got activated with the digital license. NOTE: I updated while booted as a VM in fusion and all went well!

All updates/grades were done with the AU 1607 .ISO downloaded from MS. Just be sure to download the ISO with the original language your pervious Windows 7/8 came with. Mine was Dutch but I always change the language to English.

NOTE: I don't use bootcamp but installed in EFI mode for quicker boots and overall (AHCI) performance. All drivers are installed correctly hence the Bluetooth which I have to install later.

Cheers

Reactions: TheChemist

TheChemist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Thank you all for your replies!

I activated Win10 in VM, and followed the directions to attach the digital license to my account.

All that is left is to make a DVD/USB of the Iso file, download the Apple support file and give it the old college try! If anyone is interested in the results, I'm happy to post an update here.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

foxlet

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2016
Thank you all for your replies!

I activated Win10 in VM, and followed the directions to attach the digital license to my account.

All that is left is to make a DVD/USB of the Iso file, download the Apple support file and give it the old college try! If anyone is interested in the results, I'm happy to post an update here.

If you plan to dual boot, I would also suggest to drop Bootcamp (CSM mode) and run Windows natively on Apple's EFI (UEFI Class 3 boot has been supported since Windows 8). You can keep disks as GPT and have better hardware support on boot.

Mrmullad

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2014
I have just installed Windows 10 on external Samsung SSD activated it using my product code for Windows 8 much faster and better than bootcamp.
Dell

TheChemist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Will do! Work has been unusually busy lately that I've had to put this 'project' on hold for a short minute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.