Question regarding iTunes music usage rights

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SB Rider, Sep 25, 2006.

1. SB Rider macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to "reset" the number of systems authorized to play music from any given iTunes account?

I currently have two computers authorized to play my iTunes music, my pc notebook and my brothers Power Mac. However, according to Apple, there are four authorized out of the available five.

This is because on two separate occasions, I did a fresh reinstall of Windows, forgetting to deauthorize the system first.

So... three of the four systems authorized are the same computer!

Is there anyway to fix this, or am I just screwed? Computer failures are inevitable, and I'd be really pissed if sometime in the future, I am unable to play all the songs I've purchased.

Thanks for any help.:)

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You can do a 'global' de-authorization on the iTunes Music Store, inside your user account. You'll then need to re-authorize all your computers. Note that this is a once-a-year function.

3. SB Rider thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent

Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping for. However, I can't seem to find it in my iTunes account. Care to point me in the right direction?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Evidently the 'deauthorize all' button only appears when you actually have registered 5 computers. Do you have access to another you could register to reach the limit? Once you do, under 'account' on the right-hand side of the iTMS should be an option to 'deauthorize all'.

Good luck.

5. SB Rider thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I might as well wait until I need it. Good to know that I'm covered.

Thanks again for your help.