Question regarding the Applecare process

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ontheuptick, Jan 26, 2006.

1. ontheuptick macrumors member

I received my iMac today, and the additional ram. I am going to set it up tonight, but my Applecare came in a different shipment.

So, my question is, can someone run through how the whole Applecare setup works? I don't have to wait until I get my applecare package to set up my computer do I? Do I have to install it right away? Do I wait until the 90 day period after I buy my computer is up?

Basically, how does it work?

Thanks

2. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

You call the number in the Applecare pack, atleast from what I remember, give them your Applecare number and your computer serial number. I think you can do it online too @ http://www.apple.com/support/. Altho I called mine in.

3. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

So the 3 year warranty is from the day you bought the computer not from the day you activate the plan?

4. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

It extends the basic warranty to 3 years. So whenever your basic started is when i believe that the applecare would start. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

edit - you have 90 days phone support and a 1 year hardware support normally without applecare

5. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Those both sound correct to me. You can even wait till the very end of your one year agreement to purchase Applecare, but you wouldn't get an additional 3 years - you would get 2 more.