question (Tiger on PM G4 400 Performance)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macnewbie001, Mar 14, 2007.

1. macnewbie001 macrumors member

i have a question how would the performance of a PowerMac G4 400 with 640 megs of ram running MAC OSX 10.4.6 TIGER be

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

usable, if thats what your asking.

It does work and people do still do that today.

not sure what else you want me to say.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm... depends on what your standard is, and what you're willing to do.

If you have enough hard drive space to keep more than 20% of your HD free, and you go so far as to turn off Spotlight and Dashboard both, it should be faster than what you have now (~5-10% faster than Panther, more if you've got something older).

Performance with Spotlight only is moderately good on 640MB of memory. But you'll get relatively more beachballs than you do now if you run the same suite of apps. If DB is running it will particularly suck up memory.

On the plus side, it'll be very stable and you'll have lots of nice goodies.

Although, I do have to ask... why 10.4.6? Why not 10.4.9?

4. macnewbie001 thread starter macrumors member

i am geting 10.4.6 cause i can get it for a good price i can update to 10.4.9 for free correct? i am a mac newbie just want to try something new for now adding another 512 ram will boost performance correct?

5. tngisaga macrumors member

i think your computer should be fine. it really depends on what you're using your computer for. if it's internet browsing, music, and photos it should be fine, but you'll probably get a lot of beachballs though.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're over a gig of memory, yes, you should be fine for most typical things. You can get by for many things on 640. I'm on an iBook G4/800 with 640 and Tiger right this moment.

And, sorry, yes, you can upgrade from 10.4.6 to 10.4.9 for free. Just connect to the internet, click the Apple logo on the menu bar, and then select software update.

7. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

SO HOW'S it doing? i would expect it's fine ...

8. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

It is good still but could be better when you upgrade the RAM and buy Leopard (if you want to). Disable Dashboard if you are not using it and Dashboard uses a lot of memory.

9. macnewbie001 thread starter macrumors member

k how will Leopard run on 640 vs over a gig of ram

10. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Leopard I think will run fine on 640MB of RAM but I suggest upgrading to 1GB.

11. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Hi everyone.

I'm currently using a G4 PowerMac with 400MHz processor and 1.25 Gb of Ram running 10.4.9

It seems fine for exactly what I need. Movies, Mail, Internet Surfing, Music and Photos. I still have Dashboard and Spotlight running.

There's a little bit of beach-balling (equivalent to getting the egg timer mouse icon on Windows) but not enough for me to complain wildly about.

Where there IS a problem is with Hi-Def movie files. I tried to play the 720p version of the iPhone advert and that doesn't play well through Quicktime. The solution is to upgrade the graphics card to something better.

In short - you'll have no problems running Tiger on a G4 400. Try and get yourself at least 1Gb of RAM if you can..

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Forget Leopard, how will 10.6 run on a G3? :confused: