question to owners of powerbooks who travel with them

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Heart Break Kid, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2003

im going to be doing some traveling with my powerbook and i have purchased the travel adapter kit from the apple store. i will be heading first to germany and then to india.

my concern is that in india the power is somewhat fickle - im afraid hat during a brownout or a surge, my powerbook will be damaged. what is the liklihood of the adapter protecting my powerbook from letting this happen?

has any1 ever had their powerbook damaged from plugging it in while in a third world country?
  2. DeKa macrumors member

Sep 13, 2002
    Sydney Australia
    Well, the power supply for powerbooks can handle voltages from 100v - 250v and frequencies from 50-60hz so you should be right there.

India is 230v and 50hz. Any brownout you would hope wouldn't go below 100v :)

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    India is the center of the "pink collar" job market (data entry) and is also Asia's largest software developer. Both of these things have lead to the larger cities improved infrastructure, including a fairly stable power system (as compared to the past). In the smaller cities and towns, power might be spotty at best. Power fluctuations will occur, and power drops are the least of the problems. Try enormous spikes as well! Last year, during the record-breaking heat wave, even the largest cities had difficulty maintaining power.

Danger Will Robinson!
    <Flailing floppy arms>

Other things to worry about.-> There are thieves, harsh conditions and if you’re the right spots, look to 100+F degree heat. If you are planning to visit during the monsoon season, wow, the humidity!

This can also be said about parts of the U.S., but unfamiliar lands tend to lead to more problems.

What do you plan to do with your PowerBook while abroad?
    What modes of transportation and where in India?
    What level of accommodations do you expect to stay in?

Very cool! I wish that I could take a vacation to such a wonderful place?
  4. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2003
    my powerbook will be used to keep track of patients medical records - i also plan on using it as a storage for the thousands of pics i plan on taking as well as to keep me sane on the 24 hour travel time.

as for accomidations - ill be staying in a relativley middle class neighbourhood in the south, and i plan on traveling by train once - and that is when i go visit the Taj Mahal

i think the best bet would be is to purchase a surge protector while there - hopefully that will protect my powerbook from any spikes

i also hope to have it plugged in for the 3 hours it needs to charge for and use the battery as the main source of power