Question to those who exchanged due to a flaw

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wako, May 30, 2006.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    No I see alot of people on the boards keep telling one another to go back to the store or call up apple to exchange their system because of a flaw.

What Im really interested are those people who exchanged it because of a flaw in the appearance, and the whining noise (including mooing).

I was wondering because according to Apple's return policy a 10% restocking fee is charged on ALL opened hardware, whether it is for a return or exchange. Did you simply goto the manager and tell them that whatever you found was unacceptable, or did you goto the Genius bar and stated your case and they simply exchanged it out for you?

So what did you tell them? What did you say? What was wrong with whatever you were exchanging?
  2. ouphe macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm curious about this too, as I'm looking into perhaps buying a Macbook soon, and all I seem to hear about is the 'mooing' sound and warped cases. There are no Apple stores hereabouts (Springfield, Missouri), so would I be charged if I had to send it back?

3. pammyspyce macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    Bay Area, Calif
    I didn't have to pay any restocking fee and I've exchanged 2 MacBooks. My first MacBook overheated to the point it would shut itself down. I took it back to the store where I bought it. I made an appointment and the genius checked it out. He ran iTunes visualizer and played a Quicktime movie to get the CPU maxed out. It ran so hot it shut down and they swapped it on the spot. The second MacBook had a weird vibration that seemed to be coming from the HD. I have to admit that they were reluctent to swap out the second one, claiming the vibration was normal. I have the third one sitting in my living room, unopened. It's going back to a different Apple store tomorrow so I can get a full refund. I'm going to wait a few months and let these bugs get worked out.
  4. Rovman macrumors regular

May 4, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Restocking Fee's do not apply to faulty products. They charge a restocking fee for people who return perfectly good working computers, because they cannot sell them at full price.

But when you buy something and it turns out to be faulty, your entitled to get it exchanged for free.
  5. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005

However when a store exchanges a good product for a faulty one, the store takes a loss. So if I were to buy a Macbook, and a part of the keyboard plastic is not flush with the casing, they might say it is too insignificant to exchange, thus screwing over the little guy.
  6. baker101 macrumors newbie

May 31, 2006
    how about if you buy online, can you exchange at store or do you have to mail it back to apple?
  7. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    If you buy it online you can choose either or on how to exchange it. But if you mail it, and when they recieve it and inspect it and they find that there is nothing wrong (say you are just complaining about a minor blemish) they might find nothing wrong with it, slam you with a labor cost and (maybe) shipping cost.
  8. Macer macrumors regular

May 2, 2006
    You just says it faulty, then they offer you an exchange or refund. Simply as that.
  9. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
  10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    "My keyboard isn't flush with the casing" is a whiny, baby, childish, and idiotic reason for an exchange. The "little" guy is asking for it if he's that nitpicky. Come on people, you're allowed to complain, but keep it within reason please.

Wrong, if it's under AppleCare, they simply send it back to you under the "no issue found" result, no labor or shipping fees necessary.
  11. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005

I guess the ipod and the computers have different policies then, because for ipods you can be charged if they find there is nothing wrong.

As for the idiotic reasons, it might be... but it seems some people in this thread find it a valid reason to take it back
  12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Unlike many who seem to find really nice a) apple store managers or b)AppleCare reps, I have had to really fight for mine. I admit It may sound like Im just whining, but my MBP is seriously too hot to use. I have to plug in an external keyboard and mouse to prevent from burning my hands/wrists. Also, the LCD is warped pretty badly.
    I finally got them to agree to replace the LCD and check it in for 'extended testing' on the heat issue only AFTER speaking to an executive customer relations guy. One nice thing is at no time was I met with any hostility (which has happened alot w/ other warranty calls i've made), and overall my AppleCare experience has been good. I have not been charged for anything and they even agreed to just ship it back if they hold it too long (because Im going out of town in two weeks and need the computer).
    So yeah... Apple Care is on my christmas card list. :)
  13. dialo macrumors newbie

May 1, 2005
    Not always. AppleCare threatened to charge me a $100+ service fee if I sent in my noisy fan titanium and it was judged to be "within spec."