Question: VPC and Printing via Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fender2112, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

The setup: I connect to my office computer via VPC and Windows Remote Desktop. Via Remote Desktop I can control and run apps on my PC at work, in particular, Quickbooks.

The question: How can I print a report or other document from the remote destop to my Mac printer at home? Keep in mind that this is an Internet connection vs. a LAN connection.

Notes: The Windows Printer Setup control panel allows me to setup a printer via an internet connection. I'm not sure how to specify the IP address that sends the print command to my Mac printer. I assume this will involve port forwarding.

Thanks

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

3. Fender2112 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Thanks for the link. I did not realize this was availble. I take back all those bad things I said about Microsoft. NOT.

Anyhow, this eliminates the need for VPC. But I still need to know how to setup the remote PC to send a print request to my Mac.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

There is something in the preferences for connecting to the computer that you want to share printers and drives. This might be what you need.

5. Fender2112 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

The problem is a little more complicated than it may seem. With Remote Desktop I am actually controling and running apps on my PC. Thus when I tell Excel to print a spreadsheet, that print request is sent to the printer setting next to the PC. What I need to know is how to setup a printer on the PC that will send the print request, via internet, to my Mac printer. The printer control panel for Windows appears to allow for this type of setup. But you have to know the IP address of the printer or send it to OS X so it can send it to the printer. I can get to my router by using a dynamic DNS host. But I don't know what to do from here. How do I get OS X to recoginize the incoming print request?

After reading some of the Remote Desktop online help, I found that Remote Desktop can handle the request if the Mac printer is a postscript priner. Remote Desktop will recoginize a postscript print and it will appear in the printer list of the print dialog. So, how do I do this on a non-postscript printer?

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Edit: I can't read...

However, the port forwarding could be worth a try. Otherwise, couldn't you just print from work when you get there? Or get a laptop to bring home?

7. Fender2112 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

It's funny you say that. As I was typing my previous post, I was thinking I should just get a laptop and be done.

As to the portforwarding, I assume that is part of the solution. But I don't know how to send the print request to correct port. Under the Firewall settings it is indicated that the print sharing is routed to ports 631 and 515.

Anyhow, I'll get figured out. I'm on a mission now. :D

8. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Maybe you didn't understand what I said. On your macs remote desktop software, check off under shared local devices that you want to share your printer (Picture 1). Then on the windows computer that you connect to, it should show up under printers, as shown in Picture 2 where my Printer stuff on OS X is over top of the Remote Desktop Printers area. Then all you need to do is print.

Attached Files: