Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eagle51389, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Eagle51389 macrumors member

Jan 24, 2007
    Hey everyone. Its my first post here, although I've been reading this forum for a while now. I have a few questions. I'm sure they have been asked many many times, but I don't know if their situation is like mine.

Anyways, I will be attending college next year, most likely the summer session which starts July 1st (2 weeks after HS graduation). I am very much interested in getting a mac for college. Price is not a huge issue in my decision (As long as it isn't the $18 k mac pro:) ) I'll be doing the following things:
    1. Normal web surfing/IM
    2. Multimedia viewing (DVD, photos, lots and lots of music)
    3. Photoshop and other Adobe products
    4. Video Editing
    5. Probably not heavy gaming (I figure I'll have plenty of other things to do)
    6. Word processing and presentation making
    7. Audio Recording and Editing

Among a few other things, those are what I'll be most likely doing. What would be the best setup for me to have. I'm thinking more on the laptop side of things for portability. Please include accessories you think might be good to have if you have experience with any of the fore listed items.:) Also, when should I get this setup- I just read that a mac event might occur mid June. My plan was to get the computer a month before I leave so I can get comfortable with it. (I pretty much live right by an Apple store). I just want the general publics opinion about my detailed situation.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks so much in advance,

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    For the video editing and photoshop usage, you will definitely appreciate a bigger screen. I'd go with an iMac, either the 20 or the 24, if I was in your situation, despite the wonderfulness that is portability.

Plus, the screen will be great for dormroom movie viewage! :)

EDIT: Oh...and welcome to the best forum on the internet. :)
  3. aljlin macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    i would say the big screen would be nice, but maybe get a big lcd + macbook pro or macbook (though for the video editing the macbook pro would probably handle better) and this would allow you to bring the laptop around school so if you need to get out of your dorm room it would be nice to pick your computer up and take it elsewhere for your studies in the library or something. I say the lcd because that way you can also use a bigger screen when looking at movies and stuff, and it would help with the video editing. If you do go the lcd route, then maybe go ahead and get the 15" variant and when you are at your desk, just connect it to the monitor for the bigger screen, but the 17" monitor wouldn't be too bad, just less portable.. I think the one thing you may want to wait for is leopard, not sure when that is coming out though.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i suggest a 15" MBP with an external monitor.

i say MBP because it will suit your needs best, what with the video editing. i wouldn't rely on a MB for that.

i say 15" because it's the more portable of the two, and you said one of your considerations is portability.

i say external monitor in case you want more screen space (who doesn't?) for video editing or general day-to-day tasks. i know it can be very helpful to have a webpage open right next to a Word document so you're constantly flipping back and forth (even though Expose makes this easier, it's not optimal).
  5. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

May 26, 2006
    MBP 15 inch
  6. Eagle51389 thread starter macrumors member

Jan 24, 2007
    So, by general consensus- a 15 inch MBP? What specs? I was thinking the standard 2 GB, matte screen. Anyone have any other suggestions?
  7. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    the only 15" that comes with 2GB standard is the 2.33 GHz model, which is fine if you want to spend the extra money which gets you the extra 1GB of RAM, 128MB more VRAM and a slightly faster processor. if that's worth the extra money to you, go for it but i think your money is better spent on the 2.16GHz model and going for another 1GB RAM (i don't think the extra 128MB VRAM is worth the extra money).

there's been much debate over your second question, but i like my glossy MBP. some people say it reflects light too much but i don't think it does. this is purely a decision you'll have to make based on your preferences.
  8. Eagle51389 thread starter macrumors member

Jan 24, 2007
    How much of a difference is 128V RAM gonna give me over 256? Am I going to regret the slower processor as well if I go with that recommendation? I need to future proof this machine so I can use it for the 4 years I plan on being in college.:)
  9. strydr macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2005
    I've always said if you are buying a portable, and you plan on keeping it a long time, go for the gusto. get the faster CPU (with the 2GB RAM and more VRAM). My last PB lasted me over 4 years, and still runs strong (now in my dad's posession, so I could buy a new MBP ;)
  10. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    If money isn't an issue and to meet your requirements, I'd suggest the 2.33Ghz MBP. It comes with standard 2GB RAM and you may consider upgrading to 3GB. The only other thing you can upgrade is the HD which I'd recommend at least 160GB and have at least one external. If you have any money left over, buy an external monitor.
  11. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    for general purposes, the 2.16 model will be sufficient.

however, i side with the previous posters in that if you have the funds, go for the best machine available to you.
  12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Especially if you plan on keeping the machine for a few years.
  13. Boxer macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2006
    Overland Park Kansas
    I have a MBP and I love it. I am buying a Macbook for my fiance. And I may be getting an imac here soon. For your intended purposes I would say a macbook would be good. They are a great value. I would also advise looking at the refurbished units. You on average save a lot of money and in some cases more than you would with a student discount. Then you will also need a printer. Oh and if you go with a lappy, then you will need a carying case, and somthing to protect it.
  14. Eagle51389 thread starter macrumors member

Jan 24, 2007
    Thanks for all your help everyone. Its nice to get advice from people who a) Have experience b)Aren't jerks c)Don't make fun of me cause I'm new. haha

Most likely I'll go with the MBP with the faster processor, 2 Gigs of ram, matte screen and probably 120 GB HD.

What about printers. I know I want to do photos sometimes, but usually just printing out documents and papers a junk. What would give me the most bang for my buck in the short and long term. I've always had HP and never had a problem, but I'm open to suggestions about what would be best to bring to college.

Thanks again.
  15. Eagle51389 thread starter macrumors member

Jan 24, 2007
    P.S. I'm hoping Leopard will be released before or around late may/early june, as well as a refreshed MBP. What do you guys think? It would be ideal so I don't have to worry about getting bummed out if it comes out the day after I get my first mac. lol.
  16. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2006
    15 Mac Bok Pro, get at least 2 gb ram. your choice on 2.16 vs 2.33, and for 120 gb vs 160 gb hard drive. avoind the 200 gb hd as it is only 4200 rpm
    23" Apple Cinema Display
    External Hard Drive, at least 250 GB
    External keyboard and mouse for when you're at your desk.
    I would personally reccomend buying when Leopard comes out. It'll set up your external hard drive to automatically back up with time machine. Good luck!