Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by digital1, Jun 25, 2003.

1. digital1 macrumors 6502

digital1

Ok I am in the market(or will be very soon) for a new laptop, or a used one, preferably a 15 in. powerbook. ( I plan on waiting until after Create,or whatever apple is calling it now) But as i look through ebay, and classififeds, everyone is selling off 17 in. powerbooks or 867 Mhz 15 in. powerbooks. No 1 ghz, 60gb, 15 in. powerbooks. Anyone have a logical explaination for that? Why is everyone so eager to sell off their 17 in. powerbooks?
    :confused: :)

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

while it's not always true, look out for scams. there's no real reason why those should be sold off, especially the 17"... 15", i can see some people betting that the Al 15" will come out soon... for 17", possibly some of them wanting to switch to G5 desktop, perhaps.

if you see a 17" for, say, less than $2500, be very skeptical...

btw, how much are you looking to spend and which 15" (or other laptops) are you looking to buy? there are some very knowledgeable people around here. throw your budget/spec figures out here and someone will help you with what you can expect and where. heck, some of them might be looking to sell the very Ti you want!?

3. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

thanks for the advice :) When i am really ready , I will post up here first. But just in case someone in the coming months wants to get rid a of 1 GHz TiBook 512 mb ram, 60 GB HD, Jaguar, and iPod 10GB for around 2200-2400 or so any time in the next 3-4 months let me know. ( I know this is the wrong spot, but I figured why not)

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if you are a student, look around your school computer store deals. just an example, univ. of michigan computer store is offering the following:

15" Ti Powerbook with:
    1 GHz PowerPC G4; 512MB SDRAM(2-DIMM); 60GB Ultra ATA drive; Superdrive (DVD-R/CD-RW); ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (64MB DDR) 1280 x 854 resolution; DVI out (VGA to DVI adapter included); OS X; Gigabit ethernet, 56K modem; Airport card, 3 year Warranty (additional 2 years Applecare included); BlueTooth optional

(Basically the "standard" config with Applecare.)

for $2138. And this is NEW.

With your budget, you'll have enough left over for an iPod... So do look around. You should be able to get what you want for your budget.

5. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Unfortunantly, my University doesnt offer anything in the name of computer hardware, just software discount stuff. Kind of sucks. I asked them, and they told me I should go through Apple's student discount stuff; they said Apple offered the best prices. With all this stuff about other universities getting PB 15 in. for like 600-700 cheaper than Apple's student discount offering for my college, I just wish my college wasn't so pooty about discount s.

6. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

That is because the 1Ghz, 15 is just awesome ;)

7. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

I guess everyone is thinking the same thing as me then! LOL :D:cool:

8. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

How do you like yours? What kinds of things do you do with your PB G4?