Questions about ADC Student Membership

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryanx27, Aug 23, 2006.

1. ryanx27 macrumors member

I'm pretty much set to become a student member of ADC; you just can't beat that 20% discount (I'm aware its one-per-lifetime. here's to reincarnation!) even after the $99 fee. And, uh, I totally want to learn how to develop, too...yeah...

Two questions:

1) Will I be able to shop in the ADC Store immediately, or is there a turn-around time after applying for membership?

2) I've heard that ADC members have traditionally recieved a free copy of any new OS that comes out during their membership. Can I expect a copy of Leopard when it goes on sale? :eek: Hoping!

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm afraid you don't get any copies of pre-release software with the Student membership. :( I think you can order straight away, at least over the phone that is.

3. ryanx27 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I meant to specify, "can I expect a copy of Leopard when it goes on sale?"

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No. Just the hardware discount. No free OS versions. Sorry!

Edit: I was wrong. You do get it; just not the prerelease versions. :eek:

5. ryanx27 thread starter macrumors member

Dang, guess I'm greedy. Saving $400 on a MBP was not enough for me, lol!

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I thought student ADC members did get Tiger for free (along with a T-shirt) when it was publicly released... :confused:

7. ryanx27 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that's what I had read on some forums....
    Now, obviously the free OS isn't an official, listed perk; that much I know. I had just read that it often works out that way... we'll see!

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Maybe you would like an answer from someone who actually HAS an ADC Student membership.

1) Yes, you will receive 10.4 Tiger with your "orientation kit." [Actually, I've received two copies of 10.4, once when it intially was released (gold) and once when Apple updated their retail packing to include 10.4.3.]

2) Yes, you will receive 10.5 Leopard (Gold/Retail) when its released as long as your membership is still active. Although you don't receive it on the day of release. It will ship with that month's developer discs.

3. No, you will not have access to the pre-release version of Leopard, nor will you have access to the ADC Seed Library (10.4 Server, unreleased point upgrades, etc).

3. Yes, there is a delay. You must fax over your schedule (showing you have technical classes) and student ID (showing you are currently enrolled at a credible university.) Generally, they verify your membership within 3 to 5 days. Verification must be done annually (along with a $99 student renewal charge). [By the way, if you decide to USE the hardware discount ... ADC will contact your school to verify your enrollment status again before shipping the product.]

9. ryanx27 thread starter macrumors member

Need technical courses?

Yes, thanks!

I'm a full-time university student, but I'm not taking technical classes. That wasn't mentioned on the site (which I thought I read carefully). Are you positive technical courses are a requirement?

10. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Hello. I just purchased a Student Developer Package about a month ago, and got it about 3 weeks ago via UPS. I am a Business Administration and Marketing major, naturally with no technical courses on my schedule and I was approved. When you go to verify by sending them a fax, use your student ID card if you have one, and if you are a freshman like me, you would be taking general education classes, so Apple wouldn't know your major by your schedule (unless it's on the schedule)! Best of luck.

And good to know that I will be getting Leopard free! I'll be buying a fully loaded MBP immediately following their adoption of Merom! Shame it's not sooner...I move into college this friday, and start class monday the 28th. :-0

11. ryanx27 thread starter macrumors member

Great minds think alike! :D

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Interesting. I didn't know that. So it would seem that anyone who could get the student membership who intends to buy the next OS within the year would have no reason not to join.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yes, the Student ADC membership is a great deal. I mean you're looking at $99 vs. $69 (Leopard individual EDU Pricing) initially, but the hardware discount is very substantial.

Just don't get overly excited and pre-order Leopard because you want it on launch day, and not wait for it to arrive in your monthly shipment. I tend to do that. :(

14. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'm not sure if their policy has changed, but it used to state in the qualifications that you must be enrolled in technical classes. However, I've not had any problems with being verified, and I've been a member for quite some time.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Still, there isn't a single mention of the OS X benefit in the membership description (as far as I can see). I wonder if Apple considers it a discretionary part of the membership, which could be revoked (but almost undoubtedly wouldn't be if it's been provided historically).

From the site:
    So it would seem that a specific course of study isn't required.

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

what exactly is an ADC membership, and what can you do with it?

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

http://developer.apple.com/

It provides you with resources to help you develop software for the Mac platform. There is a free level of membership that gives you basic resources, but then there are different paid levels that provide varying levels of benefits.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

To follow up to WildCowboy's post, the free online version gives you pretty much everything you need to develop with current releases. The paid versions grant access to pre-release software, Apple's testing labs (if you live nearby), hardware discounts, etc.

But if you just want to develop software on the current OS, the free membership provides most or all of what you'd need.

19. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

well i attend a college prepatory high school does that count? Lol, also does cisco networking academy count and multimedia management? I suppose i could ask my cousin to help and ill pay the membership fee i configured a mac book pro at under 1800 so thats why im anxious to get this discount thanks

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You could do that, assuming you don't get caught, but it's a clear violation of Apple's terms and not condoned by this site (or me). You're not entitled to the discount until you are in college, which I personally don't consider to be fair*, but it's up to them to define their terms.

*Edit: because there are high school students with excellent development skills.

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You must be 18 years of age and in college to join as an ADC Student member. Also, benefits are non-transferable...if your cousin joined, he could not purchase a system on your behalf.

22. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

thats cool thanks for the info. I suppose it wont hurt to wait a year and get a custom mac pro without breaking the rules. Never wanted to engage in shady activities. i have done games in windows as well as programming is it harder for macs?also does it state that i have to be 18 for the benefits? Ill be 17 when i enter college. Thanks

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think Mac programming is actually easier once you get the hang of Objective-C (I'm still a noob at it) because there's less Windows... well, ancient crap, for lack of a better term. There's older NeXT stuff, but not like the Windows APIs.

And, yeah, you need to be 18. I wasn't 18 until my sophomore year, so I understand where you're coming from. I suspect it's a legal requirement, not an arbitrary age.

24. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I signed up yesterday, confirmed today. I explained i was a Management with Lang student but intend doing internship in a dev company and that i'm a hobbyist.

They were very nice to me... waiting for pack now! hehe.

25. steve jr. macrumors 6502

And just think, the next time Steve mentions how many developers there are for Apple, you will be included in that number (i think)! I'm proudly one of the 750,000+ :)