Questions about adding an extra HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by masterjedi73, Sep 21, 2005.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    I installed the 250 gb Seagate today, and the G5 picked up on it right away.

Now I want to start transferring my media files to it, but I want all of my iLife applications to use that drive "naturally". In other words, how do I transfer everything to there and make it only usable for media files etc...

I'm not sure I'm explaining my question correctly. Let me know if it doesn't make sense! :D
  2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Usually Apple requires that the iLife apps run from the booted volume. You can save stuff to the other hard drive. If you put all of your iLife apps in a folder called iLife, and then drag that folder over to the new hard drive it might work.

Most applications are required to run from the bootable volume, so trying to run apps from a 2nd HD doesn't present good results most of the time.
  3. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    If you want to run the iLife apps off the 2nd HD, you ahve to have OS X installed on that HD as well. However, like the previous poster above me said, you can always save media files to it. This method works best.