Questions about Airport!!! Need Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by willyhunt, Jul 31, 2005.

1. willyhunt macrumors member

willyhunt

Hi, okay I am pretty sure that in the next few days I am going to be buying the new iBook. However I am quite interested in being able to get on the net away from my desk.
    Anyway my questions are...........
    1. Is the AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes all I need to be able to get on the internet wirelessly? I quite like the idea of being able to send music elsewhere aswell. Or do I need the Base Station also?
    2. I currently have a router as there are 2 Computers here in my House (1 PC, 1 Mac). Am I able to still use the router and have all 3 connected? I only want the iBook to be wireless.
    3. What kind of speeds am I going to get downloading files? I get about 110k at the moment being wired. Will this change with a wireless solution?

Its late here in the UK and maybe im being thick, but you all helped with my Mini purchase so figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance.

p.s Is there anything else I should know?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

1 & 2: you will able to plug your airport express into your router and connect all 3 computers like that. you will however need to configure your aiport express properly for this setup. although it will probably work right out of the box as you plug in, just you might expierence some local network problems.

3: airport express connects 802.11b. and 802.11g which is a max 11mb/s or 54 mb/s depending on distance and interference. what all that means is you won't see a difference because your boardband doesn't go faster than the max transfer rate.

3. willyhunt thread starter macrumors member

willyhunt

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's easy to connect an AirPort to a router. I'd try to explain it but it's seriously one of those things that would be overcomplicated in words so you'll be better off just actually doing it.

As for the speeds, the AirPort will be fine for your internet usage. Remember though that the speeds decrease as the range decreases. This shouldn't be a problem for most internet connections though.