Questions about Apple education discounts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wiseguy27, May 5, 2005.

1. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Apple provides very good discounts for education customers (students/teachers etc.).

1. Any idea whether the software applications sold through the education channel (which Apple calls "Academic version") have any feature limitations when compared to the retail versions?
    Like, for example
    Final Cut Express (Academic) vs. Final Cut Express (retail)
    Motion (Academic) vs. Motion (retail)
    iWork '05 (Academic) vs. iWork '05 (retail)

2. How does the (hardware) warranty work for education purchases? If an education customer buys it and I buy it from them, can the warranty be transferred? Any limitations on that?

Thanks! :)

2. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

Because you are paying less, then they will give you less i personally don't like Student/teacher Office i have 2003 pro on computer and LOVE it so much better...

Sorry not sure about warrenty i think it is a yes though as long as they tranfer it to your name...

3. djkny macrumors 6502

not true with the FCP production suite. the only catch is its non-commercial use limitation. read the fine print on that. For academic software, it's supposed to be used for strictly edu purposes, not for profit.

Otherwise, take advantage of all academically priced software while you can -- FCP Studio, Adobe CS2, Final Draft, MS Office, etc.

4. wiseguy27 thread starter macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Thanks! I did assume they may be limited compared to the retail version. How do they compare with the "standard" versions? (as opposed to "professional editions")

Any idea about the feature set for the following?

Final Cut Express (Academic) vs. Final Cut Express (retail)
    Motion (Academic) vs. Motion (retail)
    iWork '05 (Academic) vs. iWork '05 (retail)

I'm planning to buy a new Mac (along with the above applications) and would like to decide whether I should go through the education route through someone I know or go for retail (which would be a lot more expensive).

Thanks! :)

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

The academic versions of Apple software are identical to the regular retail versions. The first responder is incorrect. Perhaps MS software is different, but I have the academic version of Office X, and I have not noticed any differences.

6. benwa02 macrumors 6502

7. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

ok my bad i notice differences between them o well... At least with Windows their is i have 2003 pro now becuase i didn't like student/Teacher one...

8. mac-er macrumors 65816

1. Apple has no difference between their retail and EDU software. They are all the same thing.

2. Warranties are transferable on EDU machines. However, I [/i]think[/i] part of the user agreement in buying an EDU machine is that it is not to be purchased with the intent of selling it to a non-EDU customer.

9. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

thanks for info thats cool they do that insteed of cutting it down like Windows does...

10. Sca1pel macrumors regular

Yeah here is no difrence in apple software retail or academic, nor is macromedia (unsire as for the future as adobe bought thier a$$) and adobe takes away minimal things like "Stock photo's"

11. wiseguy27 thread starter macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot to all of you - this is really great to know! I hate crippled versions of applications. I don't care much about MS Office right now (although it'd be a "nice to have") - since iWork says it can import/export to MS formats, that should suffice for me I guess...at least for now.

As an additional question, does anybody have experience transferring warranties while selling your Mac? What's the procedure? I'm talking about the normal 1 year warranty (I guess AppleCare is slightly different).

Again, thanks for your responses. :)