Questions about Apple - First time buyer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KVCMac, Oct 25, 2006.

1. KVCMac macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of geting a 20" iMac. I am a windows guy who is fed up with both microsoft and am ready to jump in the apple pool. I've read alot of why switch blogs and various reviews of the Imacs, and even spent some time going over the apple site itself. I'm left with a couple of questions however.

1> Apple Care - Is it worth it?

2> Imacs are shipping with OS X Tiger, and I keep hearing about Leopard. Is this like XP/Vista where I'll have to buy leopard, or is it just an upgrade?

3>Do the new imacs have a modem or not? I've read both. (currently on dial-up, probably till next year...)

4>Aspyr - I take it that this is a company which converts pc games to apple? I will want to get the current firaxis games, Civ IV, Railroads and Pirates (was this converted?)

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Definitely for a laptop, but I got it for my iMac too.

2> Imacs are shipping with OS X Tiger, and I keep hearing about Leopard. Is this like XP/Vista where I'll have to buy leopard, or is it just an upgrade?

You'll have to buy it, but it isn't expensive.

3>Do the new imacs have a modem or not? I've read both. (currently on dial-up, probably till next year...)

No modem.

Given your issues, why not wait until you get broadband? Then you might get Leopard, or be close enough to the release to get a free upgrade.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you need even one repair after the warranty expires, it will pay for itself. Just like with any insurance, you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

Every change to a new cat species is a paid upgrade

It's an extra-cost accessory now, a little USB dongle. Until recently iMacs did have them built in, but no more.

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Thats nice to hear, i found its best to have a combo of a apple laptop and pc desktop if your into gaming but if not go 100% apple.

In one word, yes. In many, hell ya. Apple care is a just in case something goes wrong tool, many people buy it and never use it, they dont find a need to but if you are one of the small % of people that get a problem its nice to know you have apple care. Buying a computer from apple is like buying a computer from Dell or HP, sometimes things goes wrong.

Tiger is the most advanced operation software in the world, its more advanced the Vista aswell. I can go for many years using this amazing OS. When Leopard comes out you can but it for $159 i think (i am really not sure thou) which you dont need to if you dont want to. To answer your question yes Leopard is to Tiger as is Vista to XP.

If you go online now and buy it you will need to also buy an Apple USB Modem fot $49.99. Apple seems to not include old technology like Floppy drives into new computers.

Its a publishing company i think, i played a few games buy them a long time ago. If your into gaming wait and see how parallel are doing with there virtual pc since it does not slow your mac you could play pc games on it.

good luck with your new mac.

5. KVCMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow you guys are fast. Thanks for the replies, but I remembered my other question.

Why are the harddrives so large?

I've had a 60GB in my windows maching for years and never got above about 45 gigs and that was with loads of games. I've read that the unix systems are much better at keeping the drive defragged, but I've read on the apple store site that external drives from LaCie seem to fail alot. This has me worried.

Does OS X use alot of space? (I'm looking at a 250GB and I'll want to run windows at some point with PD or BC.) I'm mostly an email/websurfer user who wants to play a couple of games and keep alot of photos and music on my machine. I won't be making movies or recording music.

Netdog, I'm looking because my 5 year old Compac bit the dust about a month ago am I cannot stand using other peoples machines, or library machines much longer.

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Few tis:

- Get firefox, dont ever think of useing internet explorer, safari does a good job aswell.
    - Back-up, enough said.
    - Do not buy an anti-virus software its a waste of money.
    - Be ready to shell out some money once you go mac, i found myself buying more music and tv shows since using a mac just because its so easy and simple and feels good.
    - If you have any problems its best to search the MR forum before asking about it, and if you do post a question it normals gets answered very fast.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

iLife is like crack. You'll accumulate and create enough multimedia to max out that big drive in no time.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yeh. So true. :D

9. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

There are arguments pro/con but overall its your decision. Warranties reduce risk if something does happen, but you are also taking a risk (monetary loss) if something doesn't happen.

Although, usually with one warranty call, your Apple Care costs are recovered.

You also have one year from purchase to get Apple Care, so you can wait and think. Apple will push the warranty though. Every single being I talked to suggested (pushed) it to me.

Apple as you probably learned pumps out operating systems in short intervals. This change won't be like XP to Vista.

If you are a student, their student discount I imagine would only be $70/80.

3>Do the new imacs have a modem or not?

I don't know about the Mac Pro, but I know for sure that the iMac's don't. You can get a USB modem though.

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Mac users are much heavvier viewers on Internet pr0n.

11. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

12. joe50000 macrumors member

The 20" iMac is a great choice. I just switched over and I love the Mac Operating System.

If you're a first time buyer? then definitely yes. They also help you with software problems, which you're sure to have if you're a first time user. Not to say that the hardware is bad, but that if you're not familiar with it you might run into difficulties.

Someone above said it's like getting a Dell or HP, there are always problems and it's better safe than sorry. The only difference is that Applecare employees SPEAK ENGLISH and Macs have less hardware problems than PCs.

It's an upgrade but they always have many more new features. The Leopard operating system also takes full advantage of the iMac Intel Core 2 Duo. It's up to you to upgrade but you can still run your computer fine without it. The only snags you might run into is getting high-end software might require Leopard, but it doesn't seem like you're interested in it. If you're a student Leopard is only $80.

13. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

Lots of people have pretty much answered all your questions so I won't waste your time repeating the same things again. I'd just like to add my two cents that if you're on dial up you can buy the USB Modem from Apple. It's $49 and you just plug it into the USB port of your mac and it starts working right away.

As for games, don't go for those converted versions. Firstly very few of them were converted to begin with and those that were are buggy as hell. You're just better off installing windows on your mac. Of course you'd never use it because you're fed up with windows just like I am :D But for that one pesky application that refuses to run on a mac and for games that don't run on a mac it's great to have it there.

14. KVCMac thread starter macrumors newbie

I see an awful lot of shipping wait time posts so surfing the web I see that there is an Apple Store about 40 minutes away. If I drive over there can I get an Imac, or will they have to order it? (I certainly want to configue it and change at least the memory..) I want instant gratification!:confused:

15. 04440 macrumors member

just order it... that's the best way to get what you want... Unless you want to go over to the store and have to just order and wait for shipping anyways

16. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

You can buy one at the Apple Store near you, or order online. I've done both. One note though, custom configurations can cost more at the local store as sometimes they will not exchange the upgraded component. For example, if you buy an iMac and want more memory than the stock configuration, the store doesn't give you credit for the stock memory. They just hand it to you.

17. 04440 macrumors member

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

You can't configure it in-store. You can upgrade the RAM, but they'll charge even more than they do online.