Questions about Apple Scripting.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mackaveli, Aug 13, 2005.

1. mackaveli macrumors regular

Hi, i just have a basic question about scripting since im not too familiar with it.

i was just wondering if its possible to write a script so i have an audio file play on quicktime and a video file play with VLC player so they sync up together. IF so, is it easy to write a script like this?

thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In general terms this is very difficult. If one app stutters then the other would need to be paused foe exactly the right amount of time.

I don't think you will be able to get a good solution in AppleScript. The best you might get is to be able to script the starting of the 2 files in the 2 apps so as they occur at the same time (give or take a few milliseconds).

3. mackaveli thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, yah i figured that but just wanted to make sure. I just manually press play/pause until they sync up. Thanks for the response

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to do this?

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Just a thought... how about you play them both in Quicktime? If it's an obscure format, someone's probably written a plugin.

6. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

or if you got iMovie, just edit them together a-la Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz

7. siliconjones macrumors member

siliconjones

yeh, why don't you just combine the two together. You could do so in imovie. Much simpler.