Questions about Backing Up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dynamyk, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Ok, here's the thing, my computer has definitely been slowing down, so I want to reinstall MacOSX and start fresh. I have an external, is there a way to backup everything so i don't have to reinstall every program I have? So when I reinstall I can just bring everything back over, I really don't want to have to reinstall CS2, Macromedia Suite, Office etc.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can clone your hard drive onto an external drive with an app like Carbon Copy Cloner but reusing this data seems contradictory if you're reinstalling the OS to clean things up. OSX isn't like Windows in that it shouldn't need to be reinstalled very often at all. Before leaping into a reinstall, there are a few options you have.

1. Check Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder to see if there's a process using up a lot of RAM or CPU. Make sure you're looking at All Processes and not just the default My Processes.
    2. Restart your machine and work normally for an hour. Once the hour is up, check Activity Monitor for the Page Ins and Page Outs. The rate at which these accumulate is indicative of whether you might need more RAM.
    3. Check that you have at least 8GB of free space on the boot up drive.

3. Dynamyk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Kernel Task and Windows Server always use the most RAM. It's bugging me cause my comp really slows down. It may be the free disk space though, I have about 6.9 Gigs free.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, aim for at least 8GB of free space although more would probably be beneficial. This gives plenty of space for OSX to use as Virtual Memory. Freeing up more space will probably get you the speed increase you're after. :)