Questions about dual-layer DVDs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yadmonkey, Sep 9, 2005.

1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I just got a DVD burner (DVR-109) which supports both DVD-R "dual layer" and DVD+R "double-layer". My questions...

1. Can a stand-alone DVD player which can play both DVD-R and DVD+R discs typically also play the dual/double layer versions?

2. Does one (dual or double) have an advantage over the other?

3. Can someone recommend a reliable brand of media? I'd like to avoid turning these expensive discs into coasters.

Thanks!

2. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

It works for me. In the older player it's not as reliable as my new one. But they do play. I use LaCie d2 external. I've burned with Toast 6 and now 7.
    And I use Memorex and Verbatim almost exclusively. You have the advantage that the Pioneer is seen by a Mac as a Super Drive and mine is not. But with iDVD it is no worries since you can save a disk image now.

Good luck.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

1. depends. more set top plays can handle dvd-r, but that doesn't exclude dvd+r. the basic rule of thumb is the newer the better. some players might be able to be updated from the manufacturer website.

2. dual and double refers to the same tech

3. verbatim works good for me. i haven't tried all the different flavors though, so i maybe not be the best person to listen to. although, certain players actually recommend certain brands of disc, because the those brands are the ones the burner was tested on. it is something to thing about.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have a LaCie 16x Porsche drive and I'm able to just burn from iMovie, iDVD and iTunes. I wonder if we have slightly different software since the models are a tad different that limit this for you. Some have said the same thing and thought I was doing something else but no...Are you using iLife '05?

As for the dvds (Verbatium) I get them from www.supermediastore.com
    They have been very good to deal with as I once had a bad spindle of dvds that they took back and sent a new stack of 50 asap :D Hope this helps out.

5. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Thanks for the info guys! What do you think are the chances the prices on these discs will drop any time soon?

6. cubist macrumors 68020

I have a question: If I burn a double-layer DVD-R can I read it on a DVD-ROM drive in an older system?

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well now this still makes me wonder how far away Blueray really is since the prices are just that--high. As with the other media the prices seemed to drop somewhat fast 3-6mths after each speed increase and also depending where you would buy from (how much stock did they have).
    Not sure where it was but I did see (maybe an in store special) buy two 3 packs get one free. So for $40 you would get 9 discs :rolleyes: I don't have a problem paying $3-4.00 per disc for nice quality but not $8-11.00 per disc. as they started out as.
    If you find any sales please post back ;)

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

All mine are new so I can't say but my friend has a system that's 2-3yrs. old. If that is the range you are asking about I could test it on his this weekend if he is around.

9. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I have the dvr-108 :D , your dual/double layer should work in almost any drive that isn't dvd 1.0 ;) and just about any dvd player supporting dvd +/- r.
    I use ridata dvd-r's they work great for video,and burn faster than their rating.

10. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Again, thanks all for your info. I was just able to test a DVD+R DL disc in a brand new ultra-cheap DVD player and it worked fine!

11. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I could bne wrong on this, but...
    Any Computer DVD player should read any duel/double layer DVD media, as all consumer DVD movies are duel layer. Ever tried to rip a DVD and have it come out at 8.8 gigs? eah, duel layer.

However Consumer DVD players for TVs aren't as "smart" as computers, and so may not be able to figure out a bruned DVD, but it has nothing to do with it being single or duel layer. Any DVD player(or 99.9%) can read duel layer DVDs.

~Tyler

12. Kalinatek macrumors regular

i use TDK blanks Since 1997 (had a 1x writter back then ;) ) and am still using TDK they make quality blanks (dvds,cds..etc)

just go for DVD-R instead of DVD+R coz some dvd players dont support the +R Discs.

13. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I've never seen a DVD-R DL.. In Aus, I have only seen DVD+R DL which are $10 each, supported by many dvd players... Nearly all computers.