Questions about DVP 4.0 project size and image file

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sharewaredemon, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

So I'm working on the final touches of my DVD I have a few questions.

First of all, this is the Second DVD I've made with DSP (the first being a draft of this project).

My video is currently 9.1 Gigs as DSP tells me.

I'm using these compression settings:

[​IMG]

Originally I tried formatting the project, and then running it through popcorn but I got an error when it finished compressing.

So I tried a Build/Format and chose to make it an image file.

I got these errors when DSP got to the end:

Now my questions are these.

First, I opened the image and watched it through DVD player. Everything appears to be there, and everything appears to be working.

So what am I missing?

Second, do you have an suggestions on encoding settings to make my video fit under 8.54 gigs?

One final question, if I change my encoder settings, what happens to the old encoded files?
    I ask this because I didn't want to mess around with encoder settings in case I ended up having to re-encode everything each time I changed something, and not having the ability to recover those encoded files.

Thanks for reading this long post, and hopefully you guys can help me figure some stuff out.

Attached Files:

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

did you edit the project in FCP? I suggest you do your compression in compressor and not in DVDSP, you'll get much better results. What you'll need to do is lower your average bitrate down to where the project is under 8.5GB.

Also, set your encoding to 2-pass instead of one.

3. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Yes I did edit in FCP. Should I export the files directly from FCP to compressor then?

What settings do you suggest I use?

I have 3 and a half hours of footage to export in various timelines.

Ok so I brought everything into Compressor and I'm going to use these settings: Two Pass VBR Best
    Average Bit Rate 4.7 mbps
    with a max bit rate of 6.5 mbps
    Motion estimate is set as best.

I'm using AIFF for audio, is that fine?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

first off, NO do not ever use Aiff...this just wastes space on your DVD. Use the Dolby 2.0 encoding.

now in your first post, you attached an image showing the encoding specs for a high-definition DVD (red laser, not HD-DVD or blu-Ray). Now it sounds like you are encoding for standard-def. Assuming you are burning to a dual-layer DVD (since you are trying to get 3.5hrs in good quality), then just use the 2pass VBR 120minute preset in compressor.

5. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Thanks for your help, I don't think I was actually using those HD settings, I must just have not clicked over to the other tab to show the settings I was using.

I'll see how this goes and post again if I need more help.

6. raymondo macrumors newbie

massive error messages

I've been trying to make a dual layer DVD master on DVDSP 4. Just testing at this point before a big project commences. We have a Pioneer -RW drive unit, I'm using Ridata +R double layer discs. I've got 2 tracks of video, approximately 90 minutes each, however track 1 is about 3.8 GB and track 2 is about 3.6 GB. I've made numerous break points on track 2 that the inspector and the are telling me are valid break points. We're using dual layer setting OTP. In short I think our settings are good. I've gotten all kinds of error messages. "Exceeds maximum allowed size", Recording device reported: unknown device" and "layer 0 exceeds the maximum layer size allowed- choose a suitable marker location".
    Any ideas what else I could try to make this freakin' thing work?
    I'd be thankin' ya.