Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
So I switched back to MacOS after 10 years on the MS train and there are two things I REALLY miss but can't figure out, hopefully you know the easy solution!

All this is being done through a maxed MBPr that's fully updated and not running any strange configs.

How can I get the left view panel in finder to display the path tree to what I'm viewing? This multi frame thing far more effort and doesn't let me access multiple folders/files in one window the way I want to.

How can I charge my phone with the lid shut? It seems to always sleep when I shut the lid and doesn't give me an option to just turn off the display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2010
located
How can I get the left view panel in finder to display the path tree to what I'm viewing? This multi frame thing far more effort and doesn't let me access multiple folders/files in one window the way I want to.

The left panel is the "Sidebar" and only holds shortcuts to folders and disks and shared network units and search results.
It cannot be used in the manner you want.
For a similar approach, you might have to look at TotalFinder, Path Finder or muCommander.

How can I charge my phone with the lid shut? It seems to always sleep when I shut the lid and doesn't give me an option to just turn off the display.
To turn the display off, press the F1 key.
Strange though, that your phone is not being charged while the Mac is sleeping, my 2007 iMac and 2009 MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard do not do that, but charge connected iDevices.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Not exactly what you want but you can show the path bar in Finder by going to the View Menu and choosing "Show Path Bar".

All my iDevices also charge when my iMac, Mac Mini and MacBook Pro are asleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.