Questions about gaming on imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by H00aoj, Nov 17, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2012

I going to buy the new imac when its availble, and ive never owned a Mac before so this will be my first experience with apple computers.

Im going for the 21" version. I need to bootcamp Windows so i can play some games if i want. I dont really get how the fusion drive works with this - can i choose fusion drive and still run Windows 7 with it? I need some advice on this, hope u guys can help me out and recommend which specs to choose for random gaming on Windows.

2. macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    You can use bootcamp with the 1TB fusion drive, but at the moment it does not work with the 3TB fusion drive. Link to Apple Support Article.
  3. macrumors member

Sep 10, 2012
    The fusion drive will let u install windows on bootcamp but u will only get the speeds of the 5200rpm HDD not the fusion SSD+HDD combo as it installs windows onto the 1TB HDD. :apple:
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2012
    Thanks! 1TB will be enough for me then! So I will experience the benefits with fusion drive on Mac OS bur not while running Windows?
  5. macrumors 68030

Jul 11, 2008
    Correct. Fusion isn't a new kind of drive, it's OS X software combining SSD and HDD in a new way.