Questions about glasses and eyesight

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by muffinman, Jul 4, 2006.

1. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

I wear glasses, and today, my ipod mini scratched my glasses. The scratch is about 1 cm in length and goes up and down on the right lense. It distorts vision if I am looking directly at the scratch.

1.) I got this pair at Lenscrafters. Is there a way they could fix the scratch?

2.) Also, I had gotten this pair about a year ago. Should I consider getting new ones and an eye exam?

3.) And finally- when does your vision start to stablize? My vision has been getting worse since 2nd grade (I'm entering 11th grade this fall)?

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

In general vision doesn't start to stabilize until mid 20's or early 30's, but it actually can vary greatly from person to person. It depends on what your problem is such as astimatism. I get my eyes checked every two years. I do it for my eye health of course but also because it's fun to get new frames!

As far as the scratch goes, it is possible that if it is not very deep they can polish it out. It's worth checking out. If not it is possible that your eyes have not changed and you could just get a replacement lens.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Anything can be done, but usually for a price. :eek:

You could, but I would wait for another year. I get mine checked every other year and that seems to work out well. Unless of course your insurance covers the cost for this sort of thing every year. :)

Not sure, but medea's time frame seems about right. :)

4. semicharmed macrumors regular

1- Depends on how deep the scratch is.
    2- I get my eyes checked about every 6 months or so. I wear contacts mainly; I need a new box every 6 months and it's nice having the updated prescription(s). Insurance covers that though, and I could probably manage having them checked every year.
    As for new glasses, I change my frames every 2-3 years, but changed the prescription every year at least.
    3- Mine stayed pretty stable through junior and senior year, then made two ridiculous jumps right before and right after fall semster of college. I'm seeing fine in this prescription though so they seem to have stabilized again. (I'm 19)
    My mom's eyes leveled out in here early 20s, changing just a little bit every time they're checked.

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I started wearing glasses when I turned 19. The prescription got worse with every exam until I reached 32. They have not changed since and I am 40 now.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Since it's been about a year, I'd get a new exam. My eyes got bad in 3rd grade, and have been generally getting worse and worse, but have started to kind of even out.

and fixing the scratch-- Just ask. The worst they can say is "no." this is something you could try if you're feeling adventurous.

7. imacintel macrumors 68000

I have had Glasses since Grade 2 and the presription gets worse every exam.

8. martin1000 macrumors regular

I started wearing glasses in the 6th grade and my vision got worse until about the age of 32. Since then it has actually improved a little over the last four years.

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I got glasses in first grade, and had them up until 12th grade, when I switched to contacts. My vision got progressively and progressively worse up till then. I graduated May 2005 from high school. But I had to renew my contact prescription last October, and found that my vision had actually improved. While I was still 20x100 (L) 20x80 (R), my astigmatism had decreased from -1.25 to -1.00. I have noticed it's easier to make out shapes on the television without my contacts in. I also haven't worn my glasses a single day since October 23rd, 2005; and not once have had pink eye. :D (Then again, good hygiene is a key factor in keeping you from getting that way).

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And in another 10 years or so it will start getting worse again as you lose your close focusing ability :( That part is $#^#ing me off now at 45... I've been myopic (short sighted, can't focus on anything further away than about 12 inches) since Day 1 -- and now in order to read something, I have to balance my glasses at the very end of my nose. Time for a visit to the eye doc for a new prescription.

MMan, your eyes will continue to change as long as you're growing. Don't delay getting new prescriptions, the eyestrain will cause headaches and nausea, it ain't worth it to try and stretch the interval. In general, any polishing out of a scratch will change the prescription of the lens, so it seldom works.

11. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

Don't they have some sort of thing that fills the actual scratch in? BTW, the scratch is deep enough that when I run my finger over it, I can feel some roughness and 'sharpness.'

12. rjgonzales macrumors regular

In a short answer, No. Lenses are actually quite complex mathmatical formulas that achieve refractive power by combining certain givins. Differences in convex and concave curves, lens thickness, material, distance from the eye, wrap, and tilt all contribute to the Rx. Attempting to alter any of the above will alter the Rx.

It is recomended you have a new exam every 12 months.

It's different for everyone, but early to mid twenties is typical for girls while mid to late twenties is the norm for guys. I assume you're myopic or nearsighted because of the fact that your vision is "getting worse." Axial myopia is perhaps the most common type... this is the lengthing of the eye causing light to come to a focus point in front of the retina rather than at the retina. As long as you are still growning you can expect your eye to do so, thus causing your refractive error to get worse.

I would like to add that this is mere speculation and not a medical diagnosis or advice as you are not a patient in my office.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As others have said, you'd be best off getting a new eye exam and replacing at least the damaged lens.

If you (or someone you know) have a Costco membership and store nearby they can do a decent job quite inexpensively, but not fast, it'll take about a week or two. You do have a spare pair of glasses right? You should have one, particularly if you are of driving age...

FWIW I've worn glasses for the past 30+ years (since age ~7) and my prescription hasn't changed much since ~17.

B

14. iShane macrumors 6502a

What I want to know is how did your iPod Mini scratch your glasses? :confused:

15. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Do we have any optometrists in the audience? ;) Good disclaimer at the end.

16. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

Well I was at the San Diego County Fair yesturday, and one of the rides constantly flipped you over and threw you around at about 3 stories from the ground. I didnt want my glasses to fall off, so I put them in my pocket along with my ipod mini.

Well,...you know the rest.

17. tailiglasses macrumors newbie

lOL, I think you may buy a new one like this

[​IMG]

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

bifocal time! well, mostly people seem to get "progressives" these days.....or LASIK maybe?