Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Okay, I have a news show that I'm doing that focuses on what my family is doing. From September 2004-May 2005, I've done it in my family room using iMovie, but now I have my G5 pumped up with Final Cut Express, and a green screen. I thought I'd now do the show in front of the green screen, but I have some questions.

1) I am sitting on a wooden chair, and in front of me is a wooden table with a raised glass surface. The glass reflects the screen, and I was wondering that when I keyed (sp?) and put in graphics, would the glass key, or would it stay green? I'd like to use the glass table since it looks so professional and cool, but if it will not key over, then I don't want to use it.

2) So, now that we've laid down the green screen problem, there are some problems with graphics. In the layout of the show, I will be on the left side of the screen, and the right side of the screen will show the story's title in Video Layer 3. Just so you know, here's what it will look like in Final Cut:

V3: Story Title Graphics
V2: Footage from camera
V1: Green Screen Graphics

Now, for Video Layer 1, I have made some nice backdrops in LiveType, but the problem is that they take up too much space on my hard disk. (Each backdrop has about 1000+ frames, and I use about three textures in each backdrop.) Plus, I won't be using these backdrops all the time, so I was wondering if I could just burn the backdrops to a data DVD, delete the backdrops from the Hard Disk, and if I ever needed a backdrop, I could just import it from the data DVD. Would this work?

Thank you for your help!

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
As for burning your backdrops and reusing them im almost positive it will work. My question to you is have you ever done any chromakeying work? It is alot harder than many people think, especially if you are using reflective materials such as your glass table top.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Espnetboy3 said:
As for burning your backdrops and reusing them im almost positive it will work. My question to you is have you ever done any chromakeying work? It is alot harder than many people think, especially if you are using reflective materials such as your glass table top.

I have used a green screen twice before, but only once on my own. Both of those times only had people in it, although I've heard about various problems, such as glass table tops. The thing with this glass is that I'm not such if it's reflecting the green screen, or if it's transparent (meaning that the green screen shows through the glass.) http://www.seriousmagic.com/images/ultra/ultra2/features01.jpg
Look at that picture, and notice that the model is shown with glass and water in front of a green screen, but there isn't any spilling happening. Now, that picture was not done with Chroma Key, according to that website, but rather Vector Keying Technology.

But, anyways, would it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.