Questions about iWork.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psycoswimmer, Feb 8, 2007.

1. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Hi. My sister needs to make a brochure for school on the computer. I use Open Office now, and I still have the trial of iWork '06 and MS Office 2004 on my Mac. It's due sometime next week, so I was thinking of using the trial of iWork '06 to make the brochure. If someone can tell me that this isn't possible, (although I'm sure it is), that would be great. :)

Also, I'll need to use a presentation software for an end-of-the-year project that is due sometime in late April. If iWork '07 is out before then, I'll buy it and make my presentation. However, my school uses Gateway (windows) computers that have MS Word on them. I don't exactly want to bring my iMac into school, so I'll need to figure out how to solve that; I've heard that converting Keynotes to Powerpoint files can screw everything up. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

- Matt :apple:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Keynote (IMO) is better than Powerpoint. Exporting Keynote files to Powerpoint messes up some incompatible effects. However, if all you want to do on the PC is play the files (not edit them), you can export the presentation to a quicktime video...

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Yes, Pages has some cool templates, but there is not one specifically for brochures, and not any that are folded. So if this document needs to be folded, you'd have adapt one or make your own.

I've had some Keynote presentations look horrible when exported to PowerPoint. There are other options such as exporting as Images (doesn't work with animations within a slide though) and as a Quicktime Movie. But to play the movie full screen, you'll need iTunes on the presentation computer. My advice is, if you have to give the presentation in PowerPoint, make it in PowerPoint. Do you have a friend with a Mac Laptop?

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Umm, actually you can make any types of flyers/brochures using the templates.

Attached Files:

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, there is. Under "marketing" you will find two templates for three-panel brochures.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

That's what I get for relying on my memory... I keep forgetting not to do that!... lol

7. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Okay, thanks for the all the replies.

So I'll open that 30-day trial for iWork so she can make a brochure.

The computers at my school don't have iTunes, and my friend who wants a Macbook probably won't get one until graduation. I'm assuming my best bet is to export it as a DVD (I've heard you can do that?), and time my speaking exactly. :)

Going for more extremes here, I thought of two other options:

I could bring my iMac into school, as the presentation would be in the first period, and have one of my parents bring it home.

Or, I could rent a Macbook. Is there anywhere that I could rent a mac?

:apple:

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can bring a mac back to the Apple store for a 10% restocking fee...

9. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Haha. :) I'm sure that'll go over well. And 10% of $1,000 is still be $100!

10. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I would just bring in your iMac... it's a bit of a pain, but people seem to be quite impressed with them. I did this for a presentation last year; people seemed more interested in the iMac than what I was talking about! And they love to hear, "This is the whole thing; there is no tower."

11. psycoswimmer thread starter macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Everyone in my class has heard about my iMac. I actually made one kid mad who insisted that his 4-year old Dell was much faster.

I think that will be the best thing to do. I still have all the packaging that came with the box, so I'll make sure its protected. :)

One final question (at least I think), can you use the Apple Remote to control the presentations?

12. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Yup. Apple remote works with Keynote