Questions about laser printers??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jc0481, Jun 23, 2005.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    I was just wondering if anybody has a laser printer and if they really like having a laser printer? I'm looking into buying one. What kind of brand would give me the least problems? Thanks
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

I much prefer it to a bubble jet. It gives better quality prints and is cheaper IMO.
  3. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    I've been very happy with HP Laserjets.

Black and white laser is the cheapest modern way to print -- of course, an impact printer is a glorified typewriter and will thusly be as cheap to supply as a typewriter, but their output quality doesn't come anywhere near laser.
  4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    The cheapest HP from the apple store. Works like a charme... It's faaaast and has no time from power-up to printing <the big wheekness of LaserPrinters>

That baby flies.... and makes sharp and clear printouts...
  5. nerdykarim macrumors member

Feb 14, 2005
    atlanta, ga
    samsung's ml-1740 is 39.99 after rebates at fry's outpost (
    i love that printer...most cost-efficient laserjet i've ever seen. small desk footprint, too.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Can this print wirelessly via Bonjour/Rendezvous and an AEBS?
  7. gabriel_uk macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    I've had several color laser printers over the years, including QMS and Epson. If you are going to print out serious amounts, like a couple of thousand pages a month, the consumables (and there are several) will cost you an arm and a leg. The exploitative cost of laser consumables has even been the subject of an official EU report.

However, there is one brand of laser printers that costs less than half the usual money to run. And this isn't just spin, as I been using one - the Kyocera Mita FS-C5016N - for the last 18 months. This machine was a godsend, as the cost of replacing the various consumables on my Epson C2000 was draining my bank balance.

To highlight my point (if anyone's interested!) here is the UK cost of the Epson consumables:

Black Toner Cartridge (K Toner) - £56.02
    Cyan Toner Cartridge (C Toner)- £114.30
    Fuser Kit - £477.18
    Fuser Oil Roll- £38.08
    Magenta Toner Cartridge (M Toner) - £114.30
    Photoconductor Unit (includes waste collector) - £78.68
    Yellow Toner Cartridge (Y Toner)- £114.30

Okay, you don't have to replace the Fuser that often (maybe about once every year or two), but the rest I had to replace every few months. And the total cost of all this in dollars, excluding the $880 Fuser, is almost $1000.

In contrast, the Kyocera Mita only needs the toner replacing, and it's cheaper and lasts longer. It's print quality isn't quite as good as the Epson C2000, but it's good enough - in terms of both text and color pics.
  8. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    Laser is the only way to go if you are planning on printing out reports, letters, and other documents. I have had Black and White laser printers for the last 10 years since I got my first computer.

First 1995-1999 had a Brother HL-630 with my Packard Bell Pentium 75MHz.
    Then from 1999-2005, I had a NEC SuperScript 870 with my Dell XPS T450.
    That printer died so I went back to Brother and got a HL-5140.
  9. cube macrumors G4

May 10, 2004
    If you want color, did you consider solid ink? (Xerox makes them).
  10. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    For a black and white one you can't go wrong with the HP LaserJet 1012. It has been an amazing printer for me in every aspect and has completely replaced my inkjet. I think I paid $150 for it (new).
  11. jc0481 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2005
    Thanks for your help

I am looking for a color laser printer. I don't print that much but I'm doing enough that I spend close to $60 for my inkjet every couple of months and I am looking at the Xerox 6100BD.
  12. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Jan 17, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've had goodluck with HP lasers over the years.

My current home text printer is an HP 2100 series that a purchased six years ago. I'm amazed at how much the prices have come down since then!!

I put in an HP network card, have it hooked up to my basestation via a 4 port netgear hub (could also just connect it directly to base station and bypass the hub) (Bonjour recognized it with no problem - and the IP address pre-Bonjour wasn't difficult either), so we print wirelessly to it (and our HP USB color inkjet) throughout the house.

I'm very happy with the quality of what that printer puts out.

Of couse, we use the larger HPs (color laser and B&W) at work with the same great results.
  13. andypress macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    I second the motion. We've had a Ml-1710 for about two years, still on the same toner, just keep refilling it fro m a $10 kit from ebay. It already has 5000 pages on it, and no problems yet.