Questions about "MARATHON".

Discussion in 'Games' started by iQuit, Jul 8, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Can someone please enlighten me on this game? I downloaded all 3 version for Mac OSX. Some say Halo was suppose to be the fourth version and that Halo was stolen from Apple...yadayadayada. Please explain as much as you can.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Bungie made the three Marathon games, Mac-only.

Later, they made the Halo games (same idea as the Marathon games, similar type of story and setting, but not related), again, Mac-only. Just before it was released, Microsoft suddenly bought Bungie, delayed the Mac version of Halo, released it for XBox, then released it for Windows, and finally released it for Mac a year or two late. Halo 2 never came out for Mac, because of Microsoft.

3. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Marathon went cross-platform in the second or third version. It wasn't all "Mac-only." It was, at the time, a superior FPS than Doom (in graphics and story, maybe even gameplay). Yeah it looks pathetic by today's standards, but so does every game from that era including the much-vaunted DOOM.

Halo wasn't going to be Mac only, it was going to be a desktop computer game, but Microsoft decided they needed to get a "release title" for their XBOX from an established gaming company and Bungie's owners couldn't refuse all the money and chance to do something different (make a game for the best of the next-gen gaming consoles).

The details don't really matter anymore. Bungie also published some games for third-party developers including a really nice platformer called "Abuse."

Blah blah blah Bungie sold tons of Halo 2 despite it not really being all that earth-shattering (I really hate playing as the Aliens, wtf?).

Corona Extra contributed to this reply.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I spent waaaaay too much college time playing Marathon and Durandal (Marathon 2). Bungie was a really cool company back then. They suck beyond words now, imo. I hate Halo.

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Hey, where did you download the Mac OSX version of those games? I'd really like to play Durandal again!

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes all the games are now available for free (full versions). I believe you can get them from here
    Bungie . Yes they play on OS X!

Oh except I dont think you can get Abuse.

7. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Abuse was an awesome game too. I still pull that one out every once in a while for some fun.

It's too bad what happened with Microsoft and Bungie and all that, I was quite disappointed hearing that Halo was not going to be released on time. There had been a lot of hype on their site about it, and then all of a sudden no Mac version and Microsoft owns everything. I have never ended up playing Halo, and I don't really care to now. The original three marathons are still AWESOME in my opinion, haha, and all the other maps out there you can find are cool too. I'd recommend Tempus Irae if anyone is looking for another map to play.

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

9. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok i downloaded a game from that site and when i try to launch it it gives me an error message reading "spectre requires a monitor in 1, 3, or 8 bit mode (2, 16, or 256 colors/grays)." how do i change my monitor to this :confused: it runs in classic. i got a 12" PB g4