Questions about moving to England . . .

Discussion in 'Community' started by erik1975, Jun 14, 2003.

1. erik1975 macrumors member

I am currently looking into a position at my current employer where I would be relocating from the United States to England. Can anyone from England answer some questions (probably stupid ones) for me?

1. I have a cable modem now and would like to not give this luxury when I move. What are the costs and speed of high speed internet? I realize this may vary, but any numbers will help.

2. Is the nominal voltage in outlets 230VAC and 50 Hz?

3. I assume my G4 Cube and 15" Display will work fine overseas, but what about items such as printers, scanners, external hard drives, etc?

4. I realize that the iTunes music store does not work for people outside the U.S. I think I recall hearing that Sherlock and iDisk also do not work. Does this apply to all of .mac, or just some functions? I hope to keep my .mac email but only if I can still use some of the other features of .mac as well.

I am sure I will have more questions. any help is greatly appreciated!

Erik

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Re: Questions about moving to England . . .

1. It really depends where you're going to be based, there are areas of London that don't have broadband yet, (mine included:mad: ), but check the NTL site here: http://www.ntlhome.com/ntl_internet/cost_broadband.asp?cust=ntlcom_leadstory for their prices and a comparitor for BT etc.

2. Its actually 240v AC @ 50hz

3.provided you have the voltage stepdown transformers or switchable PSU's all those items work fine.

4. As far as I know .mac accounts work exactly the same, I've accessed several US accounts in the past. Sherlock works fine.

Hope this helps.:)

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

does the itms not work if you are outside the us, or just if you don't have a cc that's us based?

i think i remember hearing that it checks your ip and goes from there... so i guess it's the former

4. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

No you just need a US billing address.

.Mac works the same. also check out www.blueyonder.co.uk for broadband.

COmputers and many other periphs may have a small red switch on the back. Older macs had an auto switching PSU so you didn't even have to worry. For smaller things with power adapters and chargers etc you may jsut need to get a new power adapter for it.

The advantage of the higher voltage is you don't get so many amps running through your systems. Microwaves don't have to be on a seperate breaker like in canada etc etc.

So whereabouts you movin too?

5. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Despite any difficulties you might face in moving to England, I am supremely jealous. I try to go at least once a year, and would love to live there. It amazes me that people can walk past buildings nearly one thousand years old, Westminster Abbey and The Tower of London, places which have at times been the center of world history, how people can walk past them without so much as a glance or a sharp intake of breath at there majesty. You are lucky. Enjoy every minute of it. Or better yet, take me along and let me enjoy it for you. ;)

Visit Blue Pudding!
    http://bluepudding.1hwy.com

6. erik1975 thread starter macrumors member

If the move happens, we will be moving to Peterborough. I think it is about 100-120 miles NE of London.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Peterborough? Ah, christ, not the most boring place on the planet, but you can see it from there...;)

8. anneleonard macrumors regular

Just a tip

You call it "peterbruh" not "peterborrow" or anything else! it has the same principle as edinburgh, which makes the british wince at americans' pronounciation of it "edinborrow".. i dunno!! :confused: i don't know much about peterborough apart from it has a football team called "the posh" (weirdly). for a tip on living in the UK... read bill bryson's "notes from a small island" before you go, it gives you a good insight into british life, especially from an american's point of view.

9. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Whoa.

You do know there's absolutely NOTHING to do there, and it's basically in the middle of 100 km of meadows in all directions, don't you? And the food.....uuugh.

I hope you like meat. ;)

10. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Re: Just a tip

Sort of like when you fine folks attempt to pronounce aluminum.

:confused: ;)

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

1. NTL and Telewest do cable modems to their cabled areas. NTL are £25 / month for 600K service - it is capped at 1GB a day tho' Failing that and you get a BT (British Telecom) phone you will most likely be able to get ADSL from a whole bunch of suppliers -Pipex, Nildram etc. ADSL is available in most places so long as you live somewhere reasonably large. Peterborough is quite large. Has a good beer festival late in August too.
    2. It is indeed and we use a plug that no-one else in the world uses...except Ireland I think. It has 3 square pins. Earth, Live and Neutral.
    3. You may need a transformer to convert unless the PSUs are switchable. Most PC PSUs are...are mac ones?
    4. iDisk and the rest of .mac work as well as they do anywhere else. Sherlock works but as most of the stuff on there is US-centric there's not much to look at with it anyway. None of the buy-an-album stuff works in iPhoto as Apple can't be bothered to get anyone to do it outside the US.

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Re: Re: Just a tip

Its spelt aluminium, which, strangely, is how its pronounced...

You say potato, I say potato...

Ah, sod it:D :D ;) ;)

13. anneleonard macrumors regular

I was going to point out the correct spelling of aluminium myself, thanks wintermute by reinforcing my point! At least you can call British places by their British pronounciation, surely? I can't stand it when foreigners call the place where I live "nott-ing-HAM" rather than "nott-ing-um", it just sounds ridiculous! Anyway we are going really OT, to bring it back on-topic...
    I found a funny website for americans living in britain, explaining some british words. tehe.
    britishms
    I can't believe you guys don't say words like knackered, jammy, and chuffed! How linguistically challenged.;)

14. pinks macrumors regular

I suppose with a username like yours, you are more than qualified to make comment about the quality of food produce ;)

Seriously, though, cable broadband companies (such as NTL and Telewest) will supply you with a modem as part of the deal so no need to bring one with you. A basic power-converter will allow you to use all of your electrical goodies without any problems. You can still use iTunes, so long as you retain a US bank account.

...and there is nothing wrong with the cuisine. Well, apart from the abundence McDonalds, of course...

15. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

100km of Meadows.??? So no other towns within 60 miles of Peterborough? The sea's within 60 miles. There's a lot of countryside around Peterborough and it's a bit tediously flat but countryside is nice for long (or short) walks (including pub walks - lovely).

The food is as crap as you want it to be. Sure it isn't Italy but most US restaurant food is bloody awful too unless you pay a lot for it - Strangely I found the US versions of fast food to taste worse than what you exported to us! Cook it yourself. Really tasty food isn't that hard to cook yourself and doesn't take much longer than bunging a packet meal in the oven. On the nothing to do thing...well it isn't London so options may be limited...Did I mention the trains to London are fast?

I can't believe I'm defending Peterborough:rolleyes:

16. ntg macrumors regular

ntg

I can't believe I'm just about to stick up for Peterborough, but it lies 12 miles from me here at work, and where I work is CORBY!! Now, on many lists drawn up by various education and welfare institutions, along with police and fire-brigade reports, Corby is a place to avoid at all costs, and therefore, by default, Peterborough itself is excellent. To be fair to the place, it has some good shops, Ice-skating, speedway, (proper) football, rowing lakes, it's own Thomas-the-Tank-Engine railway and much, much more!!(?) I'm just glad I don't live there either....:confused: :D

nigel

17. Zaid macrumors 6502

Neither can I.

Seriously the best part of a trip to Peterbrough, is getting on the train back to Kings Cross. :)

Bah... I'm going to have to be up there for a bit in the next month or so. bah... :(

eric, not to make it seem like an utterly bad place, i'm sure it has its good points. (Maybe you could tell me what they are when you find out :) )

18. JBracy macrumors regular

1) Check with BT, NTL and Telewest to see which one provides service to the area

2) ish (240 actually)

3) Your Mac and display should be auto sensing. Personally for what printers and scanners cost now you'd be better off buying one there.

4) To buy music you need a US address in you Apple ID. Also to order prints from iPhoto you need to have them sent to a US address. Other than that everything works in the UK. The only problem with Sherlock is that most of the content is US centric. iDisk does work, as will your .mac email.

Hope that helps, I just made the move the other direction! London to Washington DC.