Questions about repairing permissions in OSX10.2.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomasp, Sep 10, 2005.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I have a few questions about repairing permissions in OSX 10.2.8 (and generally, I guess):

What are the dangers of repairing permissions (specifically in OSX 10.2.8)? Is there any chance of data loss or programmes becoming more unreliable afterwards?

Will repairing the permissions help make an ageing Dual 867MHz G4 run slightly quicker?

How often should permissions be repaired?

Thanks for the help :)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no known problem associated with repairing permissions. The proper permissions for each app or utility is maintained in a file stored in one of your Receipts folders. When you repair permissions, the utility resets the permissions of each app to their proper settings. They have to be reset because certain installers change them but do not restore them to their proper values. Because repairing permissions does not cause problems, the only thing that you lose by doing it too often is time.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You should repair permissions when you experience some strange behavior in your machine. For instance, if you see that an application started to become unstable lately, or the system is slowing down in some occasions, then you should repair permissions.

Repairing permissions will have no side-effects. Only good things can happen when you do it. There has never been observed any problem using repair permissions. I personnaly use OS X from system 10.2.4, and I have done every single update and upgrade until versiob 10.4.2. Repairing permissions has absolutely no side-effects.