Questions about satellite TV/Internet

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mactastic, Aug 28, 2003.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I am going to be moving soon, and may be getting a house out in the boonies so to speak. I've been using my cable company for both TV and ISP for about 4 years now, and I just can't face the possibility of dial-up internet again. At one point several years ago I had a neighbor who was a DirectTV installer guy, and he had satellite TV which was very cool at the time because cable was still analog. There were no local channels though. Now I hear that's been fixed, at some cost.

Anyway, my question is what are the pros and cons of satellite versus cable? Will I be happy with a satellite internet connection? How much does it cost per month? Who's the best provider?

Anyone who has any info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

One of my friend’s uncles has satellite. The detractions are cost and set up. Interference (storms and wind) is also a problem. The speed was not as fast, but it could have been his older computer.

You will probably be as happy.

I don't have anything other the T-mobile Hotspots and free wi-fi nets to use.

3. xpormac macrumors regular

Your upload on sat connection will be dial-up, so don't expect much from it. Its true that when theres a storm or something, your connection will slow down, or stop, so expect that. Your going to miss cable, heh

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah, I was afraid of that. It might end up being something that makes me think twice about that place up in the hills. Both my wife and I use the internet often enough that we need a dependable service.

5. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

both

at school i have the luxury of a T3 for an internet connection. however at home we use a cable connection, which works fine for what my family and i do. we also have dishnetwork satellite television, simply because we like a lot of the channels, however, with digital cable, we may go back to just sticking with the cable company...don't know yet though.