Questions about sending powerbook to apple for repair

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by swiftaw, Aug 6, 2005.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

My powerbook is suffering from the common "lower memory slot failure" and so I am sending it back to Apple for repair (I assume it will be a logic board replacement).

I have a few of questions about the process.

1) In the shipping instructions it says to disable any security software and I am wondering to what is it referring. Does it mean I have to remove the login password from my User account?

2) How likely is it that my data will be lost? I plan on backing up my home folder before I send it, but I was wondering how likely it is that I will have to restore all my data when I get it back.

3) In people's experience, how long till you get it back repaired?

Thanks

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If I were you, I'd create a new admin-enabled account in your Accounts preference pane, let's say with a name like "admin" and a password like "apple", and tell them that (perhaps in a note attached to the system). If they needed to log in, they'd have that ID/PW without logging into your account. Not that that keeps them out of your files, but it's tidier.
    Assume that they will wipe your disk clean, just in case. It could happen and you don't want to lose your data files.
    That one I don't know.

3. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Just had a friend whose iBook was picked up from her house Tuesday afternoon and got it back Friday afternoon.

4. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Wow, that's pretty good

5. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

That's what I thought. This is her first Apple computer too and she was very impressed by the service.

6. moliere macrumors newbie

Don't enable File Vault, for one thing. They can always get into the system using a CD or DVD to boot up with; File Vault is supposed to stop that, so don't turn that on. You don't have to do anything to your user account.

Like one of the replies stated, always assume that you'll be losing your data, so backup the important stuff. I've sent an ibook in (two of them) and a powerbook. With one ibook, the hard drive was replaced, and I lost all the data although I asked them to transfer the data to the new hard drive. No big deal, though, since I backed it up. Nothing happened to the other two 'books in terms of the data getting lost.

For minor stuff, it takes about 3 days until you get your computer back in your hands. If it's something major and/or the parts are backordered, I've heard of people waiting at least a couple weeks.

Good luck with your repair situation. Let us know how long it takes, etc. :)

7. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I've sent in my iBook 3 times now for logic board replacement. The third time being last week. I called Apple on Monday (8/1), received the box and shipped it back Tuesday, and had it back at 11am on Thursday (8/4). After the initial pain of having to actually talk to the asshats at AppleCare the rest of the process is fantastic.

8. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I've been having problems with my PB lately, and next week will be the third time it gets sent in to Apple in as many weeks. That being said:

1. Don't do anything to your user account.

2. They've told me that data is only wiped as a last resort, but that it's standard procedure if there is any problem during post-repair tests. I personally have not had any issues.

3. AppleCare is extraordinarily fast. I usually call on Monday, receive the box on Tuesday, they receive it Wednesday and I get it back on Thursday morning.

The one exception was my first send-in where it was placed on a 9-day hold while they were waiting for a logic board to be sent to the warehouse. Even then, once they had received the part, I had it back to me within 24 hours.

You assumed correctly, swiftaw. It will indeed be a logic board replacement. Good luck!

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Repair time definitely depends on what needs to be done and part availability. My wife has had some work done on her 15" PowerBook and it only took 3 - 4 days.

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

as my iBook is going in to the shop (insurance is paying for it) for a NEW screen, how long do you think that will take?

11. rkristich macrumors member

2: I would say that there's a good chance your hard drive will be erased. I know they run tests before it's sent back to you, and they may erase the HD to make sure nothing on it is causing any problems. I'm not completely sure about this though.

3: I just sent my PB out for service, and it was on it's way back to me 12 hours after reaching the service center. I am a bit worried that they didn't think anything was wrong with it, as my problem wouldn't have been immediately seen unless they tried to load my hard drive past 20 gb (or inserted Disk Warrior). I'm hoping that either it some sort of firmware/software problem or they had a new hard drive on hand. I should have had it back today, but nobody was home when the DHL guy came. I definitely have it back tomorrow though.

I hope you get your PB back quickly; I know how frusterating it is to have a broken one! At least your problem is pretty clear though. I'm still not sure what was up with my PB, or even what may still be up (for the whole story, go to this thread )

12. mac-er macrumors 65816

Great advice there. What exactly are you referring to?

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, the first time my PB needed a logic board repair, I dropped it off at an Apple store on a Tuesday, and got it back on the following Friday. They're generally pretty quick with laptop repairs.