Questions about the 12" and 15" Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by other, Oct 23, 2005.

1. other macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2005
    My first question is, do you think it's possible that Apple will update the 12" Powerbook soon? I ask this because they didn't touch it at all, they didn't even put in the new DL superdrive. I read some comments where people said that Apple have updated the 12" separately in the past.

Regarding this, could Apple possibly update the Powerbooks again in January? I realize it's just a couple of months until then, but what happened in 11/2002 - 01/2003 when Apple bumped the Powerbook after just two months? Was the 15" TiBook updated in November and then in January the 12" and 17" models were introduced?

And my last question, people claim that the 12" iBook has better WiFi reception than the 12" Powerbook, but is this also true for the 15" Powerbook?
  2. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Anything's possible and nobody here really knows. The Intel transition and the unknowns of the G4 situation make it harder to speculate IMHO.

It certainly is true in my household. The three iBooks well outperform my PB15 in wifi reception.
  3. other thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2005
    Of course. What I really want to know is, has Apple updated the 12" separately in the past?

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

Sep 11, 2003
    Actually, the 12 and 17 were intro'd then the 15 was replaced later. Hehe, the images on looked wierd with light coloured aluminum 12 and 17s with the dark 15" tibook in between with it's hard edges and rear ports. it looked downright silly there for a while. but I guess they had to get rid of old stock.
  5. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
  6. other thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2005
    I wouldn't think something similar would be possible with a new 13" Powerbook, but a man can dream, can't he? ;) This would probably be to costsome though, to make a redesign before the switch to intel. Damn it.
  7. Sooper macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2005
    My 12" 1.33 iBook gets markedly better wifi than my new 15" PB. I can use the iBook way out in my driveway and in the street (useful when working on my car, as I can consult the web), but the 15" PB constantly loses its connection.

To be honest, I'm running a hacked Linksys WRT54G and turned the output power way down on it for added security. I'm sure if I set it back to default the 15" will work fine in the garage and driveway. Don't let the wifi performance change your decision; unless your stealing wifi from a far away neighbor... :)
  8. panda macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004

i agree... i saw the new 15" today and its screen is gorgeous. couldn't imagine gettnig a i/pbook with a smaller screen now...

i'm just hooked:)
  9. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The iBook does get better wireless reception that the PowerBook, but both seem to do better than my Windows computer.

My guess for updating is that they will update it soon, hopefully they'll put a better screen on it as well as the superdrive. I'm guessing that, since the 12" is so small, the reason it wasn't updated might be due to hardware limitations.
  10. other thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2005
    That might be, but how come they didn't even swap the superdrive for the new one?
  11. other thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 18, 2005
    Maybe I should go look at the new 15" Powerbooks.