Questions about the OS X password screen

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by selfemployed, Dec 16, 2003.

1. selfemployed macrumors newbie

I bought a G4 through an auction and I am wondering if I need to reformat the hard drive or if there is a way to circumvent the password lock (OS X) to access the drive in it's current state? I am a newbie to Apple (windows for 15 years) and very excited to learn how to navigate this great machine. Would appreciate any light that can be shed on this subject. Many thanks.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

If you have the OS X install CD's, you can start up from CD1, and reset the password, once it has finished booting, but before installing.
    Its an option in a menu bar.

3. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok then

Ok. I have just gotten through reading that I don't need the original CD's but that leads to one last question and that is- I cannot tell if the OS is 10.01, 10.02, or 10.03. Since I can't determine ahead of time will there be any conflicts if I buy 10.03 and it is only 10.01?

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Actually, it is 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 (not 10.01, 10.02, etc.).

Is there anything on this HD that you really want? If not, when you buy 10.3 (Panther), you can do a clean install.

Depending on your OS, the password screen background should be slightly different unless this user altered things (which would require a little "hacking"). I will post each of the backgrounds in seperate threads. You may be able to figure out the OS' version this way.

5. railthinner macrumors regular

I really hope you're not dealing with a stolen machine.

And on this topic does anyone know of a way for me to encrypt my system (Jaguar) so that if someone were to steal my Powerbook it would be useless to them? I always thought there would be more hoops to jump through to get past the login password -- guess I never put enough thought into it.

edit: sure someone could entirely replace the HD, but I'd like to keep the contents of the drive private at the very least

6. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks titanium, that would be most helpful...

7. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Well, I can't get the pictures up so I guess that method won't work.

8. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Best thing is FileVault (working) in Panther.

In 10.2 you don't have any real options.
    All passwords can be bypassed if you have physical access to the machine. An OpenFirmware password can help, but even this is pretty easily bypassed.
    My advice: if you want your documents protected against theft (physically), get Panther, wait for 10.3.2, then activate FileVault.

10. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

This is Panther's - 10.3

I got it working but it is only a small section of the image.

Attached Files:

11. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

This is Jaguar's - 10.2

Attached Files:

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Let's see:

10.3 has grey backgound screen with darker grey Apple-logo, during first boot process. Then blue Aqua screen with white window and SILVER Apple-logo.

10.2 has grey backgound screen with darker grey Apple-logo, during first boot process. Then blue Aqua screen with white window and BLUE Apple-logo.

10.1 has grey backgound screen with "happy Mac", during first boot process. Then blue Aqua screen with white window and blue Apple-logo.

Edit: typo.... "gey" doesn't sound so nice as "grey"... :D

13. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Not sure - Think 10.1 and 10.0

I'm not positive but I think this is 10.0 and/or 10.1's.

Attached Files:

14. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

It appear based on these screen that I have 10.01. Would I have no choice to upgrade twice or is there a version of 10.03 I can overlay onto 10.01?

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Wouldn't it be best to just erase the disk and install Panther?

16. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

That is probaby right Rgrt8 but I do in fact want to update to 10.03 and I want to be able to do it the most efficient way. The little knowledge I have acquired thus far says I cannot jump from 10.01 to 10.03. Also, should I go ahead and get a full copy or an update copy?

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Just get Panther

You don't have to go 10.1, 10.2, then 10.3 you can simply get 10.3. When you get the box, simply put in the first disk and the machine will ask if you want to do an upgrade, a clean install, etc. I would suggest a clean install unless you have something you need on the harddrive, in which case you need the install CDs as the above have suggested. However, if this is a computer that you have bought on eBay or from a friend, etc. then you will be better off starting from scratch w/ your brand new OS, this way you can easily go through all the nice and helpful dialogues that pop up when you first install a new OS. You can set up Mail, your browser, your name, etc. easily this way. Otherwise you end up with all of their junk and possibly some wierd preferences that you may not be happy with. I have all sorts of junk I don't think anyone else would find useful, so I would imagine you will find lots of junk on this machine as well.
    Good luck.

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Maybe we should clear this up:

10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 are FULL Operating systems.
    Not minor updates to 10.0
    I can understand a new user to find that confusing.... as a .X number usually indicates an upgrade (like Photoshop 7.0 >> 7.1)

The OS is called: Mac OS X.
    Mac OS X Version 1 is called 10.0 (Cheetah)
    Mac OS X Version 2 is called 10.1 (Puma)
    Mac OS X Version 3 is called 10.2 (Jaguar)
    Mac OS X Version 4 is called 10.3 (Panther)

You can buy an upgrade, just like a Win XP upgrade, but it does install a complete new OS .It only tries to find an earlier version of the OS (in this case tries to find Mac OS X 10.2), so you'll be needing the "normal" version of Panther.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

19. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

You can put on a bios password so that the machine cannot be booted up without knowing the password.

20. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You can "reset" the OpenFirmware password by "altering" the hardware... i.e. changing the RAM, HD etc.

21. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone...

Thanx everyone for all the good input. I believe I now know what I need to get going.

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Glad we could help.

Nice to make a switcher happy :)

23. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

24. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

Reply to Titanium

Thanks Titanium. I am really excited about getting to know Apple. Hopefully, as intuitive as it is supposed to be, I should get the hang of it fairly soon. I know one thing, I am blown away about the architecture of the unit. I have either built my own PC or had one built and nothing I have ever bought measure up to this thing. I have a single 933Mhz processor and coming from a P3 700, I will most certainly see the difference. I am not a power freak but I have been told I can upgrade to a twin and I believe go up to 1.42Ghz. Thanks again.

25. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

Re: Questions about the OS X password screen

use the install cd and then select reset passwrod from the menu