questions (about using Windows programs on a Mac)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Elharby, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Elharby macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2005
    hey guys ..i have some questions to ask ... i have a new mac its a powerbook g4 and i have an operating system Mac OS X .. this type of computers are not populer in lebanon so i`m not finding programs for it .. and i really liked this type of coputers but you know i need programs that is populer here to let them work on it .So what i can do to let programs of windows work on my Mac?
    Can i replace the Mac OS X by a Windows and if yes how?
    is there is a program that can make these windows programs work on my mac and if there is plz i want the links so i can download ... and 10x a lot
  2. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    You cannot run Windows (x86) programs on your Mac without the help of something like VirtualPC from Microsoft (or programs of a similar ilk). And VirtualPC is very slow. And if you're only going to be running Windows programs on your Mac via VirtualPC, then you might as well sell your Mac and but a Windows laptop, as it will be much faster at running your Windows programs.

No, you cannot install Windows on your Mac without something like VirtualPC.

AFAIK, you cannot download any of these programs legally.
  3. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    As yellow said, you cannot simply install Windows onto your Mac, but if you need to run the occasional Windows program and don't want to pony up for Virtual PC (but you do have a Windows install CD), then try QemuX. It's free.

But really, using a Mac purely to run Windows is akin to installing a Pinto engine into your new Ferrari. Can you do it? Probably. But do you want to?