questions before i get a MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ctdewberry, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ctdewberry macrumors newbie

So im in college and will be getting a MBP 17" (dreams do come true) soon and yeah i had some questions:

-will the incase nylon sleeve protect my MBP if i put it in my messenger bag with some textbooks and stuff?

-are there any problems with the MBP that you are experiencing that would make me want to wait for a revision?

-are there any other accessories that perhaps i should buy?

-is the warranty worth it?

-what about security? i dont live on a campus yet, when i do ill get a lock but what about lojack and stuff? is it worth it?

-i live in washington where we have 8.8tax, is it illegal to go to oregon to avoid paying for tax? can i still get a student discount for a washington college if i buy it in oregon?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You might find the 17" MBP is too big and clumbersome at college, a 15" MBP or MB might be better

For security I have installed Undercover, also basically when I leave the room I always either take my laptop or leave it with people I trust. I haven't bought a lock for it.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I totally agree, the 17 MBP is a beast of a thing. I would recommend you rethink and perhaps choose the 15" or even the 13.3"
    The 13.3" is cheaper, smaller (obviously) and lighter but very usable and no hassle to carry around.

Good luck at college.

FJ

4. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I also totally agree. I have the latest rev 17" PowerBook and that thing is a clunker. It's 1 inch thin, yes, but my god it's a pain sometimes to lug around.

But, of course, you get bragging rights and you get to see the look on peoples faces when you bust out that bad boy. Oh, and chicks dig it.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Get a Macbook and, possibly, an external monitor and mouse you can leave in your room. I think Applecare is worth it, but you can get it for less if you don't buy it from Apple.

6. ctdewberry thread starter macrumors newbie

well ive decided to go for the macbook pro over the macbook cause i need/want the extra graphics power. i plan on going into computer animation so i need something with power (pixar here i come!), but im sooo sick of not being able to take my computer anywhere...i dont envision myself taking my laptop with me everywhere. just occasionally to the library or cafe to study, maybe sometimes to class if i decided it would be more convenient to use it to take notes...

and ive always liked the idea of being able to pull out a 17 incher, i've even practiced the grin i will have when other people see it lol

ive actually put much consideration in deciding between a 15 and 17. i just loooove screen real estate, the more the better....i have a pretty hefty monitor at home (24" woot!) but the thought of having 17" wherever i go really appeals to me...but ill reconsider before i buy anything if you guys think its really that heavy ^_^

oh and where else can i get the applecare?

btw does ANYONE know when/if Maya will become a universal binary... i swear if i have to boot into windows one more time....

7. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

For starters. Amazon has a bunch of under retail price options for Applecare. A quick search around yealds a lot of options... you can save yourself at least $40 and tax...

8. ctdewberry thread starter macrumors newbie

oooh thanks

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I never thought about buying AppleCare anywhere else. Kinda like buying .mac elsewhere. Huh.

I took a quick spin on eBay and sure enough, you can get them there as well... NICE!!! :D

10. ctdewberry thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm i get a pretty good deal for being a student. applecare goes from 349 down to 239

11. ctdewberry thread starter macrumors newbie

oh and i have another question! what happens if leopard and iLife '07 are released at MWSF, and then i buy a MBP after that, like say the following thursday, but it comes installed with iLife '06 and tiger because it was shipped before they started installing leopard and iLife '07...do i get a free upgrade or what?

12. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I understand the desire for screen real estate, but really consider the 15". I take my 15" MBP to most classes and I usually have the biggest laptop there... the 17" would be crazy, and a pain to carry around. If you do go with the 17", I'd protect it well with a Timbuk2. I use the Commute, which is really great. I wrote an extensive review of it.

But going back to real estate, just know that I hook my MBP up to a 30" for every-day use... I'm clearly used to having lots of room. But for about 2 months of the year I'm not in my apartment and I just use the laptop as is. I really don't have any kind of a problem - you instantly adapt. I think it has something to do with the beauty of Mac OS that although real estate is useful, it's not necessary.

The 15" is the perfect sized laptop, in my opinion. Enjoy whatever you buy!

13. kermit4161 macrumors regular

You can usually upgrade your OS through Apple care service folks. I bought a 12" Powerbook right after they released Tiger (PB shipped with Panther). I just sent in a copy of my invoice and $10 and got a Tiger disk. They put a time limit on this... but I think it was about two or three months last time.

Your Incase sleeve should provide "some" protection against scratches, but with a 17" MBP, I'd really suggest getting a backpack to lug it around. That'll provide a dedicated computer compartment (with your Incase sleeve) and give it more protection against the loose textbooks. The Aluminum cases do dent pretty easily... you'll want to protect it as much as possible.

Good luck in school!

14. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

You'll ususally get the upgrade on DVD if you purchase after the release if it is not already installed. If you don't, a quick call to Apple should remedy the situation.

15. ctdewberry thread starter macrumors newbie

well thank you much, i will definately reconsider the 15" then! also your review of the timbuk2 bag was very nice, i now know how i want to carry my macbook pro, but do you feel your laptop is protected if you have hardbound books in the bag? and if you are only taking your laptop, does the whole bag feel like overkill?

16. ctdewberry thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

17. aljlin macrumors regular

I have a couple friends who have told me the same about applecare. when you are paying a lot of money, it would be good to have this just in case. Even Consumer Reports who have generally frowned upon buying Extended Service Plans says AppleCare is a good buy. Plus, as a student, if you have a student ID with you, check to se if you can get the discounts, and if so, then you get a fantastic deal on the applecare. Good luck about your macbook pro! I just got my 15.4" macbook pro and I love mine. Oh and by the way, you don't have to buy them at the same time, you can wait to decide, and register your applecare with your serial number .. as long as your warranty period is still valid. but the applecare doesn't extend it 3 years past the date you sign up, it's 3 years past the date you bought the laptop.

18. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

Get applecare. It is a must with notebooks. With my iBook I had the motherboard swapped out 4 times for free due to having Applecare. Also, a friend had her entire computer swapped out to a current model two and a half years after her purchase because of ongoing issues and the fact she had applecare. With one major service needed it pays for itself.

And my dad lives in the Seattle area and has been driving to portland for years for major purchases like that. You still get you discount and no tax.

19. ctdewberry thread starter macrumors newbie

all right thanks that really answers my question!

so besides a carrying case and warranty, are there any other accesories to consider? maybe a spare battery? has anyone found it useful...and whats the real world battery time? i have a wired mighty mouse, which i love and a BT keyboard, which i love too, so those are covered...

hmm since i can get a 15" with the same system specs as the 17", i really am considering it...

20. aljlin macrumors regular

My friend recommended an extra power adapter/cord so you can use one @ home and put one in the carrying case, so you don't plug and unplug all the time. I did this, but I don't know, I guess it would be useful if your powerbar is in a less than ideal location. Not sure whether a new battery would be all that useful. I have an extra battery with my other laptop, but I ended up using one most of the time because when one runs out and you use the second battery, you have two batteries to charge, which you have to do i believe only by plugging it into the laptop. a little hassle, but then again if you find yourself not next to plugs a lot, then it makes sense, since really the battery life on the macbook pro is not the greatest. I think the most i've gotten is around 3 hours but that was a lil rare.

21. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Undercover looks so cool!:cool:

I just have insurance for my MB, then if it gets stolen, I get the new model:D But I would like to buy Undercover as well:)

BTW, that link is broken, I fixed it for you:)

22. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

The Timbuk2 Commute has enough room for a few books (hardcovers or otherwise), but doesn't provide as much room as a regular backpack would. This can be slightly frustrating, but it also means that the laptop feels very safe. There isn't 25lb of hard cardboard smashing against it as you move - the contents of the bag feel tightly packed. I used the bag every day for classes, travelling and so on and my laptop came out of the affair completely unscathed. So, to answer your question, the laptop feels perfectly protected even with hardcover books.

If you're only taking the laptop the bag is delightfully light. If I'm taking my laptop any kind of distance I always put it in the Timbuk2, especially since I like to carry my extra battery and charger along with it. Of course, if you're going 50 feet down the hall to your friend's room, don't bother putting it in. For negligible trips you'll probably want to grab a well-reviewed neoprene sleeve. But it does't bother me to put just the laptop in it and carry it around.. it doesn't feel like overkill.

23. ctdewberry thread starter macrumors newbie

nice, ok thanks! well then it seems all i have left to do is decide if i want 17" or 15", and since everyone here is thoroughly convinced that the latter is the way to go, I think ill buy it!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER ALL OF MY QUESTIONS!

24. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I disagree with everyone. I say get the 17":cool: :) The screen is gorgeous! And it looks so cool!

25. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I think the laptop will warp in a messenger bag.