Questions for all those who love Trek

Discussion in 'Community' started by hesdeadjim, Mar 12, 2003.

1. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I'm a trekkie and trekker (and yes I know a few definitions for the differences), but I fell OK since I'm on a computer related boards. I just had a quick question for all of the rest of the trekkies or trekkers out there:
    What is your favorite Trek Epidsode from any series?

Mine would have to be either Yesterday's Enterprise or the Inner Light. I'm wondering really just out of curioustiy.
  2. BrittasMac macrumors member

Feb 7, 2003
    CA, USA
    TOS: City on the Edge of Forever
    TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise
    DS9: In the Pale Moonlight
    VOY: Year of Hell
    ENT: Dead Stop

Overall: In the Pale Moonlight
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Come on ! City on the edge of forever was Great. but also i think a very strong story was Balance of terror. There has been some great stories in the next generation ( picard getting nabbed by the borg). I just dont know those names since i was from the originals generation. I still think the nitty gritty and get the girl Star Treks where the best. Phasers on stun lets go in. The newer stuff became a little to sterile and everyone was perfect humans almost! The new Enterprise is good but i wish the captain would get together (bone) the vulcan! She is hot and smart! Humans are not perfect and that keeps the fun going.
  4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    My favorite episode of Next Gen would be the one where Picard lives his entire life out on an alien planet (which all takes place in an alien probe). Also reffered to as the "flute" episode, I think.

DS9 would have to be the one where Sisko "dies" in an expirement in engineering and Jake grows old while trying to bring him back. You don't even have to like Trek to enjoy that episode.

I really didn't like Voyager, but Year of Hell was about as good as it got.

I don't remember enough TOS to pick an episode.

Can't pick a specific Enterpise episode either.

I will add my favorite books though.
    Masks - Next Gen
    Best book of any of 'em.
    Vendetta - Next Gen
    The Peter David-written New Frontier(?) series. Great stuff.
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    The one where Picard lives his life on anther planet was a good one. There was so many stories that were great is why Star Trek just keeps going and going but remember Gene and the cast of the first Star Trek is what got that ball rolling. Shatner,Nimoy,Kelley started this legend. Even with Stupid NBC they made this thing happen and took us to new unexplored new worlds. Journey to Babel,The Doomsday Machine, Devil in the Dark.etc etc.
  6. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
    TOS: The Trouble with Tribbles
    TNG: The Best of Both Worlds
    DS9: The Siege of AR-558
    VOY: Equinox
    ENT: Shockwave (to date)

Movie: The Wrath of Khan

Oh and if you are having troubles searching out your fave ep titles, check out
  7. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
  8. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2001
    DeKalb, IL
    TOS: "Assignment: Earth" (this episode was also supposed to be the start to a new series focusing on the characters in this episode)

TNG: "Best Of Both Worlds Pt. 1 and 2" and then the other episode where Picard gets captured by the Cardassians. "There........are...........4............lights!!!!!!!!"

DS9: "The Emissary"

VOY: The last episode, whatever it was called. Mainly just because the hell that was Voyager was finally over.

ENT: "Broken Bow" The pilot still, overall, is the best one so far. To me at least. I'm one of the few that actually LOVE Enterprise. The only other episode that I think came close to "Broken Bow" would have to be "Shockwave."

Movie: Tie between "The Wrath of Kahn" and "The Undiscovered Country"

9. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2002
    Bolivar, TN
    I watch Star Trek only because it comes on the only channel I can pick up well on tv

I basically only really watch Star Trek because it is on the channel that I can pick up and the rest of the shows are the really trashy type like the Jerry Springer Show......please get rid of that show!

Basically I watched a lot of TNG and DS9 in Boston on the only channel we could pick up which was UPN......the other channels would just not come in on our attennas. The only other thing I would watch on this channel and only if I was really bored was WWE then WWF.

In Alabama, I watched a bunch of Voyager episodes because I could only get UPN and one other channel which I watched for news and sports. UPN had some sports......mostly college basketball and football on the jefferson sports broadcast. I actually like many of the Voyager episodes with the Borg in it. I think Seven of Nine is pretty hot and interesting.

Here in PA, I can only really pick up ABC and Fox.....CBS and NBC fade out too much and is really hard to pick up on the rabbit ears. Fox has Voyager and TNG and so I watch that.......the rest of the stuff isn't really worth watching.....Blind Date, 5th Wheel, and all that reality dating shows.....if you ask me.....trashy.
  10. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    Do you know you can thank Lucille Ball for Star Trek?

Her production company picked up the ball and ran with it, when no-one else would touch it with a 10-foot barge pole...

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Maybe one of you experts can identify my three favorites, which I liked because of the very clever plots. (Apparently, I like the ones with time twists.)

Next Generation: The one where Data is keeping some kind of secret and Picard finally gets him to tell who ordered him to keep the secret: "You did", says Data. A probe sent by Enterprise had discovered a planet with powerful inhabitants who didn't want their existence known, and they had given Enterprise a second chance to pass by, this time without noticing them. Given one last try, Data had to find a way to keep the secret while preventing Enterprise from detecting the inhabitants.

Next Generation: The one where everyone is deevolving due to a virus. It was the scariest episode of the series.

Voyager: The one where the ship is stuck in orbit around a planet and time is moving at different relative rates for the planet and the ship. Over their centuries, the people on the planet come to worship Enterprise as a constant presence in their sky, while the ship sees the planet evolve in a matter of days.

One other I liked:

Next Generation: The one where Picard and an alien must learn to get along to defeat a yetti-like monster while their ships wait in orbit. Picard must learn to communicate with the alien, whose race speaks only in stories.

Can anyone name these episodes?

P.S. For the original series, "Spock's brain".
  12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    That would be "The Inner Light" and "The Visitor", respectively.

I'd have to say

TOS - The Menagerie
    TNG - Cause and Effect or Time's Arrow
    DS9 (what I've seen) - Call to Arms or What You Leave Behind
    VOY - Time and Again
    ENT (of what I've seen) - Dear Doctor, even if it was a rip-off of Data's Day
    Movie - Either Nemesis, The Wrath of Khan, Generations, or The Undiscovered Country
  13. hesdeadjim thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow, Quite a range of episodes. The more I think about it, the more great episodes pop in my head. Like:
    Chain of Command Pt 1 & 2
    Trials and Tribblations
    A lot of the last couple of seasons on DS9
    The Doomsday Machine
    balance of Terror
    Future Tense (Ent)
    The Trouble with Tribbles
    TOS episode with the Nazis
    more and more. Of course, a whole other thread could be made just on the worse of Trek (and no all of Voyager and Enterprise don't count there
    ;)) Anyway, keep them coming if you think of more.
  14. Perci Mac macrumors member

Feb 1, 2003
    In a state of perpetual waiting
    TNG: Time's Arrow, All good things, yesterday's enterprise

Never watched much of the others. The episode where picard lives the life of the man on the desert world is called

The Inner light
  15. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Without a doubt, it has to be "All Good Things."
  16. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Great Trek Thread!

Oh, HAVE GOT be kidding regarding "Spock's Brain" as your fav for TOS!? I think that episode above all others is universally panned as the worst of the lot! Is it April Fools Day?

TOS: "Amok Time"
    (my favorite quote from that: "The air is the air...what can be done?" I often use that myself when faced with the need to come up with an answer to an impossible solution...of course, not very many people know what I'm talking about!)

STTNG: "The Game"
    (sure, there are a great deal of thought provoking and great scripts during this run, but this episode was SUCH a commentary on addiction to technology in general...just loved it)

VOY: The last episode...(a brave step to have a female captain, and she was perfect for the part)...quite a brilliant end to another often-entertaining series. Wish I could remember the title...apologies.

DS9: Don't have one. It never intrigued me as much.

ENT: The only thing worth watching on this series are the too infrequent glimpses of the captains pet dog, the best actor on the series. Flame me if you will, but this monocromatic snore fest is the worst ressurection IMO of the entire Trek genre.

MOVIES: Wrath of Kahn.
    What a much-needed shot in the arm for Trekdom everywhere after Star Trek-The Motion Sickness. I sometimes think that if the first ever Trek movie wasn't such a miserable BOMB that such a top-notch written and acted (except for Shatner, of course!) vehicle such as Wrath would not have been done. It literally forced Paramount to come up with a sure fire winner...nothing beats "formula", and Wrath delivered it in spades.

What does the future hold?:confused:
  17. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

So many to choose from...

Let's see... I've enjoyed all the ST series, but my favorite's the original series. More science and thought-provoking ideas than any of the other 4 series. But I digress from the point...

I don't actually have an all-time favorite episode on any series. But episodes that I liked the most are

Errand of Mercy
    Day of the Dove
    The Enterprise Incident

The Neutral Zone
    Q Who
    Yesterday's Enterprise

The Way of the Warrior, Parts I & II

Future Tense
  18. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Ah, man!!! I saw the title of the thread and I instantly thought Trek Bicycles. I gues I flunked the test.

Attached Files:

• sad.gif
      File size:
      946 bytes
  19. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2002
    Bolivar, TN
    Re: Great Trek Thread!

The last Voyager episodes is End Game I and II
  20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Re: Re: Great Trek Thread!

The one where Picard takes up making apple pies, but Worf say's "Warriors do NOT bake". Then Data gets infected with that weird strain of virus that turns out to be accidently planted by Wesley Crusher as a result of his last, well, rather interesting visit to Raisa. I think the episode is called "Dark Gluten".

"By the Numbers"
    That one where Worf is accidently transported to another planet where his mother, in a vision induced by theta radiation, tells him his father was really an accountant on Kittemer.

"Raison d'Coupon"
    The one where Geordi finds out that the Heisenberg compensators are defective, and every member that has transported off the ship in the last two years had a duplicate transported to Hollywood, where they apeared as contestants on "Supermarket Sweep".
  21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: Great Trek Thread!

That's why I like it. It was wonderfully cheesy and unintentionally hilarious.

Almost, which means I have to prepare a suitable prank for my co-workers, speaking of low-class fun.

Same here. Not coincidentally, it was the series that wasn't about a starship.

No way. Episodes with an omnipotent entity stretch the pseudo-realism of Star Trek science past the limit where I can play along and pretend that transporters, replicators, temporal disturbances, etc. make sense. What fun is it when Q can change reality anytime he likes? To me, episodes with Q seemed like endless scenes of arguing. I think Q was an annoying character. Although obviously you are not alone - somebody must have liked him because they kept bringing him back. The worst part of all is that he stole my nickname. I had it first!
  22. homeshire macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    Ohio, looking toward Germany
    doctor q --

you inquire about my favorite episode of TNG. it is titled 'Darmok'. Picard must learn the essential notions of a language alien to him. his reward -- understanding that theirs is a common cause, not that they are enemies. amongst all the posts here, my next 4 favorite episodes are surely represented. but Darmok ranks #1 on my list. it is the episode i have always pointed to when i remind myself that the essential greatness of the series was in how well-written it was.
  23. JRS macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2003
    My Favorites

TNG: "All Good Things", "The Inner Light" and the episode where Q sends Piccard back in time to relive his days at Starfleet Academy, and he gets stabbed through the heart.

"Is there a Gene Luck Pic-card here? I'm looking for a Gene Luck Pic-card." -Q

VOY: I think it's called "Timeless". It's the episode where Voyager crashes into that planet of snow while testing the Quantum Slipstream drive.

Also, the one where Harry Kim and Tom Paris are trapped on this Prison ship and they almost go insane and kill each other. I think it's called "The Clamp."

"You know what I remember Harry? I remember you saying 'this man is my friend, nobody touches him.'" - Tom Paris

ENT: "Broken Bow"

Movie: "Wrath of Kahn"
  24. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!