Questions for Rob Barris...

Discussion in 'Games' started by invaLPsion, Dec 6, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Hey Rob,

I notice that you frequent these forums so I'm wondering if you could answer a few of my questions regarding WoW...

1. I noticed that you recently reported on the WoW performance issues for the macintosh. Do we have an ETA on the new patch that will rectify these issues? How big of a performance increase can we expect?

2. I am running WoW on the system below. I run the game at 1280 by 1024 with everything at max except farclip (no shaders of course). Still, the FPS is WELL below a PC running with a 9800XT at the same settings. How can this be?

WoW runs decent on my machine (I LOVE the game), but when will the macintosh drivers for the game be rectified so as to provide the frame rates I SHOULD be getting?

(I currently receive anywhere from 15-100 FPS. 15-40 in Elwynn Forest and Goldshire. 20-45 in Dun Morogh and Kharanos. 45-80 in Stormwind. 70+ in Ironforge. With this card and system I KNOW I should be able to run this game with all shaders, etc. on MAX and get higher than what I am currently getting)

Thank you.

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Does the 9800XT outperform your 6800GT? I'm just curious...

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

AFAIK, there are some issues with NVidia cards, which Mr. Barris is working on. Se let's hope we'll receive a patch soon.

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Am I missing something or isn't the 9800XT from ATI?

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Well, invaLPsion has both cards... but he's asking about the 9800XT (i think). But either way, i think WoW has more issues with the 6800 cards than ATI, which is what Valdek is referring to. Either card (or any card) we all hope to see some issues resolved.

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

He clearly states that he uses WoW on the Mac in his signature which has an Nvidia card. And he says it’s slower than a PC with a 9800XT.

So why do you think he has a problem with the ATI card? :confused:

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Lol, wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil. :D
    My bad, sorry.

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I've been hearing all different Mac users complaining about performance, regardless of the video card. From what I've heard from rbarris, it is an issue with Apple's OpenGL drivers. This would effect nVidia and ATi systems. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I do think 6800 owners are currently getting a raw deal. People have speculated that we do not even have the proper drivers for it yet.

9. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The speculation is that the drivers are modded FX5200 drivers. Whereby, only taking advantage of 4 of the 16 pipelines and a limited amount of the features.

10. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

So invaLPsion, does the game run better with your 9800XT than 6800GT? please say no :( :confused: :mad:

11. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

If you have the game, I suggest that you install it on both your PC and mac and do a comparision. I think you'll find that the PC may win...

I am asking these questions because I know that this game should be performing much better than it is.

12. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I was under the impression that you had a 9800XT for the mac AND the 6800GT. In that specific case, i was wanting to know which card performed better on the mac. As you can tell from my sig, i do have a pc, and it runs WoW with everything turned up @1600x1200. I never EVER drop below 25FPS. So i agree with you about the fact that there are issues with the mac version. What i still need to try is running the PC version in openGL mode. Perhaps then we'll see the game suck on PC... i don't know.

13. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

14. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion