Questions (from a newbie) about Cocktail

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by florencevassy, Apr 16, 2005.

1. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

Can someoone please answer some questions that I have about Cocktail? I use it mainly to clean the cache and repair disk permissions.

What does it mean to...
    Delete all rotated log files?
    Choose symbolic link?
    Delete DS store files?
    Update Prebinding?

Thanks !

2. florencevassy thread starter macrumors regular

florencevassy

Can someone please help?

Can't anyone who knows about one or two of these items please answer?
    Thanks so much! FV

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) When the system runs daily maintenance tasks, it takes certain log files and rotates them out -- that is, so that the files won't get too big or overwritten, it renames them to another filename, so that they can be saved. So the first thing gets rid of them.

2) Not sure, but a symbolic link is like an alias or like a shortcut in windows. So if you have an external drive, and you wanted to store your Music folder in it instead of on your notebook, then you could replace the Music folder with a symbolic link to the one on the ext hd. But I'm not sure what this option in your software does.

3) .DS_Store files are how MacOS saves options specific to a folder. Read this, from here

4) Prebindings are associations between library files and applications. If they are prebound, the app is able to access the library more quickly. I believe that when the software updater tells you it is optimizing system performance, right before it asks you to reboot, it is doing this (but not when it doesn't ask you to reboot). I added it to a maintenance script, but you probably don't need to do it terribly frequently.

Hope that helps? :)

4. florencevassy thread starter macrumors regular

florencevassy