Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
Hi all. I just applied for the ADC student membership and I just received an email asking for school verification. I was wondering how long it would take to verify that I'm a student after I fax my school schedule. I would like to use the discount for a new PB 15", so do I have to place an order through the website or could I do it at a store? Do I need a special member #, etc.? I need the PB asap, so I hope it doesn't take long. I guess it's needed if I want to place a BTO order for a PB 15". Not only that, but what is the average time for a BTO PB to arrive? Thanks a lot!

:confused:

RJWP

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
Probably within a day.

I did the same last week. The total processing time was about one day

The details:
1) I faxed my information off on the afternoon of day one.
2) I called them up at noon on day two. They found my records while I was on the phone and told me they'd get at the verifiying my student status.
4) About an hour later I got an e-mail telling me my status was verifired.

But if I were you I'd be sure to call them the day after you fax to make sure they attend to the approval in a timely manner.

RJWP

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
Probably within a day (cont'd)

Oh yeah... you'll need to order from the website. Just follow the "Student Discount" links on the ADC side of the Apple website and you'll gat to the ADC store and find all the info you need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any physical stores are authorized to deal with the issue.

jdogg707

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
If I purchased a laptop using the ADC program, would I be able to purchase Apple Care for it through my universities online student store? Or do I have to buy it through the ADC store?

RJWP

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
When I spoke with Apple they told me you can purchase the APP anytime within the standard year of coverage (i.e., from date of original purchase). I didn't specifically ask, but I assume the APP can be bought outside of ADC.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jdogg707 said:
If I purchased a laptop using the ADC program, would I be able to purchase Apple Care for it through my universities online student store? Or do I have to buy it through the ADC store?

This is a big catch with the Student ADC program - it's cheaper NOT to buy ADC then. ADC is cheaper thru your EDU discount (go to the EDU page and see!)

Also, you do NOT have to buy Applecare right away, but if you want the two year _extension_ you have to buy within the first year. I waited until the 362nd day of owning my powerbook (purchased thru ADC) before deciding to extend the warranty (thru EDU discount) - save yourself some cash upfront!!

(If you are in the market for other products, buy them at the same time as your adc powerbook purchase - you can save a LOT of money - check out the ipod prices...)

jdogg707

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2004
carletonmusic said:
This is a big catch with the Student ADC program - it's cheaper NOT to buy ADC then. ADC is cheaper thru your EDU discount (go to the EDU page and see!)

Also, you do NOT have to buy Applecare right away, but if you want the two year _extension_ you have to buy within the first year. I waited until the 362nd day of owning my powerbook (purchased thru ADC) before deciding to extend the warranty (thru EDU discount) - save yourself some cash upfront!!

(If you are in the market for other products, buy them at the same time as your adc powerbook purchase - you can save a LOT of money - check out the ipod prices...)

ADC is a lot cheaper than normal Edu. dscount prices, except on the warranty, which I will just purchase from the Edu. store in a month or so. Do they still charge tax on ADC purchases? I am assuming yes, but one can always hope!

RJWP

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
jdogg707 said:
ADC is a lot cheaper than normal Edu. dscount prices, except on the warranty, which I will just purchase from the Edu. store in a month or so. Do they still charge tax on ADC purchases? I am assuming yes, but one can always hope!

Yes, death and taxes---those are the certainties in life. (But any taxes associated with the cost to purchase the ADC membership itself are included in its price.)

Question for Carletonmusic: How did you benefit by waiting till the last week to purchase your AppleCare Protection Plan?

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
"This is a big catch with the Student ADC program - it's cheaper NOT to buy ADC then. ADC is cheaper thru your EDU discount (go to the EDU page and see!)"

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. "ADC is cheaper thru your EDU discount"... what the heck does that mean? Did you mean to say "APP is cheaper thru your EDU discount"? Were you just mixing up acronyms?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Gherkin said:
"This is a big catch with the Student ADC program - it's cheaper NOT to buy ADC then. ADC is cheaper thru your EDU discount (go to the EDU page and see!)"

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. "ADC is cheaper thru your EDU discount"... what the heck does that mean? Did you mean to say "APP is cheaper thru your EDU discount"? Were you just mixing up acronyms?

Sorry to be confusing, I meant to type APP! For everything except AppleCare, ADC is cheaper. Since you don't have to buy Applecare at the outset (no matter how you buy a Mac) - don't, you can get a Mac more quickly :) You can buy Applecare ANY time in the first 364 days of owning your Mac.

When you DO buy AppleCare it's cheaper (if you are a student) to buy AppleCare with an Edu discount ($239 for Powerbooks) than if you did it initially with your ADC purchase (normal $349 for Powerbooks.) Hope that cleared things up!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Does anyone know how long you have to use the '1 time hardware discount' deal after paying the $99 to become a student developer? My wife graduates soon and we'd like to be able to use this discount....but we're waiting for the next revision of PowerMacs or iMacs....so she could go ahead and sign up....but we'd like to wait to buy something. Thanks!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
One more question:
can you buy more than one computer with the ADC Student Developer discount?....such as an iMac and a PowerBook? Thanks again!

bcstanding

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Jovian9 said:
Does anyone know how long you have to use the '1 time hardware discount' deal after paying the $99 to become a student developer? My wife graduates soon and we'd like to be able to use this discount....but we're waiting for the next revision of PowerMacs or iMacs....so she could go ahead and sign up....but we'd like to wait to buy something. Thanks!

I had this exact question because my Student ADC expires at the beginning of Auguest and I want a Rev.B PowerMac. I called them and they said that as long as your order ships before your ADC membership expires, then you are OK. Apparently they verify your ADC membership when they ship, so if it's expired by then, you are out of luck. If you log in to the ADC website, it will tell you the exact day it expires.

Also, read the terms and conditions -
"ADC Student Program members are entitled to one purchase of a system for developement purposes at a significant discount. A system is equivalent to one (1) CPU with one (1) monitor; one (1) desktop; or one (1) portable. If you are purchasing peripherals (monitor, cable, iPod, etc.) you MUST order all items at the same time as your system purchase."

RJWP

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
Jovian9 said:

I think it's one year (basically, before your membership expires). However, you should just call up the peopel at Apple's ADC and ask them.

And to answer your second question: I think you can buy just one "system". Check the website out for their definitions or just call Apple's ADC people.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Jovian9 said:
One more question:
can you buy more than one computer with the ADC Student Developer discount?....such as an iMac and a PowerBook? Thanks again!

From Apple's Student Developer site:
ADC Student Program members are entitled to one purchase of a system for developement purposes at a significant discount. A system is equivalent to one (1) CPU with one (1) monitor; one (1) desktop; or one (1) portable. If you are purchasing peripherals (monitor, cable, iPod, etc.) you MUST order all items at the same time as your system purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.