Questions on macbook harddrive replacing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nweeks14, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Nweeks14 macrumors newbie

Nweeks14

Alright, so physically putting it in is nothing. I can do that, but my question is once it is in it is of course blank. So do you just have to install everything from scratch off of your install disks? I was wondering if there is an easy way to get the stuff from my stock seagate drive to the new drive if and when I get it.

2. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

There is a great program called Carbon Copy Cloner which can Duplicate the original Drive. Get an External FIREWIRE Enclosure for the New Drive you buy. Put the NEW drive in it & hook it up to the Macbook and use Carbon Copy to create an exact duplicate of the original. When you swap out the drives the replacement will work just like the original. And you'll have an enclosure for the "old" drive as backup.

OR

If you cant do that and you want to do a Clean install this is how:
    Install the new Hard Drive. Then Boot off the Grey OSX Restor cd by putting the cd in and holding the "C" key at startup. Before you install anything you will have to initialize the drive. In the top menu there there is a Utilities Menu - Open Disk untility from it and erase the drive and intialize it as Mac OS Extended(Journaled). Then you can install OSX on it.

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Follow the directions posted above.

If you are just looking for what came on your HD from Apple then the install discs are all you should need. Of course I'm not sure if the third party stuff will be included such as Comic Life. If you had already started putting stuff on the other hd and that information is what you are looking for then you should burn all the information onto disc instead of using a program such as Carbon Copy Cloner.

Edit:
    Just follow the steps here if you haven't done this before http://www.apple.com/macosx/switch/howto/dvd.html

4. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I think there is a program called superduper that can help you

5. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

does anyone know the key combo to boot from external?

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

command option shift delete

in case you are unaware command is the apple key.

7. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

how long should it take CC Cloner to Clone a 40 gig HD via USB?

8. Nweeks14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nweeks14

I have an external usb travelstar hd enclosure. Would that work instead of getting a firewire enclosure with the program you mention to copy stuff onto the new drive?

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea