Questions on Newton MessagePad 120

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Ensign Paris, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Hi

Yep! Its another one of those got awful Apple PDA thread (except its about old PDAs :))

I have decided its to dangerious (and some what stupid) to take my TiBook to school so I have bought a Newton MessagePad120 for about US$90 (exactly £60) and I have a few questions:

1) What is the highest Newton OS they can run?
    2) Can I put a larger Memory card (to swap with the 2mb card currently installed)
    3) Can the PCIMA slot take a modem? If so which one?
    4) Can you e-mail from a Newton 120? or even better view simple net pages (such as Macminute.com? I used to fax from a NewtonMP original) This guy (http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000159) did but I guess you need Newton 2100 power (162mhz) to do this
    5) How long will it last on batterys when turned off?
    6) How long will it last on batterys when turned on?
    7) Do I have to use it horizontally can I turn it through 90º and use it to the screen is wider (like the eMate)

Thats about it,

I am using it at school to take down notes (stuff I will not need to transfer to my mac and if I need to I can transfer it to my ColourClassic and then to my Powerbook.

Thanks for any help!
    Ensign

2. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

oh yeah, I have another question, where can I pick up a cheap Newton Fax Modem? I used to have one but I gave it away (stupid me!)

Thanks,
    Ensign

3. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Well, Mr. Paris...

I dug out my old MP110 the other day - a lovely little work of art, and way ahead of it's time - and it fired up beautifully, first time (and it even remembered how I wrote, too!).

In answer to (some of) your questions...

(1) The MP120 can run Newton OS 2.0 (lucky, 'cos mine only runs 1.0!)

(2) You can put an 8Mb card in - I'm not certain about higher capacities, as that much memory was unheard of in a PDA in the mid '90's when the MP120 came out (funny how times change...). Although it may be possible as long as the formatting works...

(3) Hmmm.... (?) Can't help you there.

(4) There are a few shareware companies on the net that provide software for the Newton to send emails (check on Carracho and Hotline for STACKS of software for ANY purpose - you'll be surprised at what you will find. I can even control my AV system with the MP110 - it's like a master Remote Control!)

(5 & 6) I remember that the battery life is about a month with basic useage, and about 1-2 weeks of continuous useage.

(7) I think the 90 Degree rotation feature wasn't implemented until the MP130. A no-go with that one, I'm afraid.

(8) Depending on where you are, you might find one at a computer exchange-type place. Failing that, a sure bet would be eBay. I've seen tons of stuff available for the Newton - including rechargeable battery packs, extra stylii, memory cards, software, Mains charger-cradles, and none other than Fax Modems....

Good Luck!:)

4. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Thanks Kiwi, I think will upgrade to a Newton 130 sometime before the end of the year (probably when my 120 gets stolen or I loose it :))

Looks like I am going to find the Newton very useful!

Ensign

5. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Whilst you're in the mood to upgrade, if I was you I'd check out Messagepad 2100's - they're a much better bet, as you can get them for a song - and they even browse the net properly, complete with graphics, too!

I'd try to get an original 2100, and not the upgrade from the 2000 though. They're around, and usually come complete with a bevvy of software and hardware accessories as well.:)

6. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I will look into that, a 2100 would be great, but I can't find any for any reasnoble price!

Let me know if there is anyone in the UK selling then :)

Ensign