Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ang8385

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
How can i exchange files between 2 mac computers in different countries ?? Both are using broadband. Please advice.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
ang8385 said:
How can i exchange files between 2 mac computers in different countries ?? Both are using broadband. Please advice.

There are several options:

1. E-mail the files. If they're not too big, just send them via e-mail.

2. FTP. Your Mac can be set up as an FTP server (make sure the OS X firewall is on, and be careful with directory permissions) that the remote computer can access.

3. iDisk. If you or other other person are a member of .mac, you can share files via your iDisk.

4. Third party services. There are other web-based providers of online storage that you could use. Not sure of the cost and security there.

ang8385

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
emw said:
There are several options:

1. E-mail the files. If they're not too big, just send them via e-mail.

2. FTP. Your Mac can be set up as an FTP server (make sure the OS X firewall is on, and be careful with directory permissions) that the remote computer can access.

3. iDisk. If you or other other person are a member of .mac, you can share files via your iDisk.

4. Third party services. There are other web-based providers of online storage that you could use. Not sure of the cost and security there.

Can u explain how the FTP works and what are the steps of doing so, thankz

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
One mac would run some FTP software. Go to http://www.macupdate.com or http://www.versiontracker.com and search for FTP server.

The second mac would use any FTP client. I like Fetch.

You set up the server and set permissions and you then have the client log in and transfer files.

If this is a bit complicated, there is another solution.

http://www.carracho.com makes a Peer to peer FTP like client and server. Its easier to set up. The site has links to boards with directions. Sadly, Carracho is often associated with P2P warez and music files but it is a really simple means to transfer files with a controlled user base for legit reasons as well.

Good luck.

ang8385 said:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
ang8385 said:

In your Sharing preferences turn on FTP Access (which let's people see what in your User:publis folder). When you hilite that option, down at the bottom of the preferences pane it will say something like "Other people can access your computer at ftp://<ip address>." If you are using a router, you will really need to ignore the IP that OS X is giving you and check your router for what IP is assigned to it, since that's what people will be able to see.

If you do have a router, you'll need to enable port forwarding, telling it that FTP calls should be directed to your Mac IP address. If you don't have a router, you'll be set, but make sure your Firewall is setup in Sharing preferences as well by clicking Start under the Firewall tab.

One other note. I think if you set up a user account (Under Preferences:Accounts), you can go to your Public folder and set permissions that only you and that user can read or write files. This will prevent just anyone from getting in. I'm not sure if OS X will allow "anonymous" FTP logins or not.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
seamuskrat's idea will also work - but will require third party software. Not necessarily a bad thing, as there will be more options. Using the Mac's built-in services is less complicated, but also less robust.

Either one should be equally secure.

But I would suggest disabling FTP services whenever you don't need them, just to eliminate possible hassles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.