Questions prior to MBP C2D purchase...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 92GTA, Oct 31, 2006.

1. 92GTA macrumors newbie

92GTA

1. What date will Apple begin to offer free upgrade coupons for Leopard?
    2. I presume since the C2D is 64-bit that when Leopard x64 is released, Apple will be offering a Firmware update for full 4GB (2x2GB) of memory? I heard the 3GB was limitation of the current OS and how it handles memory, not the chipset.
    3. When will a version of BootCamp become available with the drivers that will enable me to run Leopard x64 and Vista Ultimate x64 side by side?
    4. I also presume that Leopard x64 will support the 802.11n hardware in the new MPB C2D's?
    5. When will a 7200RPM HD be offered on the 2.33GHz 15.4"?
    6. Is it true the glossy screen is online only and not offered as store stock or special order through retail partners?

Thanks!!!

Alex

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

After Leopard is announced (for people who buy systems after Leopard is released that had Tiger pre-installed). Apple doesn't offer upgrade coupons except in very rare circumstances prior to the OS release. Maybe within 10 days or so of release.
    I doubt it's the OS, but, if it is and firmware can fix it, probably. I wouldn't bet on it, though.
    No idea. Possible but, given Vista's licensing that we've seen so far, unlikely.
    Good bet.
    Dunno. Probably shortly unless there's some heat issue that requires the additional space of the 17".
    Yes. Others might rarely order custom versions, but you can't count on it.

3. eddietr macrumors 6502a

No, the 3GB is a limitation of the chipset. So unfortunately my C2D MBP which I haven't even gotten yet will be in the classified section next year when they start using a chipset capable of 4GB+.

I would think so if the current cards are capable of the final approved n-standard.

4. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Forgot to add that Apple stores around here did stock the glossy CD MBP's. So I imagine they will stock the glossy C2Ds also, at least once supply catches up with demand.

I don't know about the retail partners. I can say that the "Mac" guy at Microcenter didn't know that the MBP is available in glossy. Of course he also didn't know that the C2Ds have been announced (this was this weekend, 4 days after the announcement. I had to show him on the front page of the Apple site.) So what do they know? :rolleyes:

5. nevir macrumors regular

I highly doubt Apple would develop a full virtulization app, especially as Parallels, VMWare, etc already do a good job of that. As for Vista 64-bit on its own, I would assume that the Boot Camp drivers will come out a month or two after release of vista (pure speculation).

Also, due to the magic of universal binaries, there won't (afaik) be a separate 64-bit version of Leopard (Tiger already supports 64-bit apps anyway).

Vista Ultimate's EULA is a lot more liberal towards virtulization - not so many worries there (but the 'lesser' editions are a bit restrictive)

6. 92GTA thread starter macrumors newbie

92GTA

Thanks for all the answers so quickly!!!

Sorry I didn't really mean side by side, I meant dual boot option as BootCamp does now. The question was mainly concerning when 64-bit Windows drivers will be available for the Apple hardware so I can boot Vista x64 and control the extras :) I simply figured the timing would correspond to the release of Vista next month as I have an MSDN account and won't have to wait until January.

That REALLY sucks they won't offer an upgrade coupon. I don't want to wait 'til February to buy and it's retarded that if I buy in November I have to pay full price for the OS that is released only 2 months later, IMO.

Sucks about the 4GB memory thing too. I guess eventually Apple will get it together with Intel...