Questions regarding Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sohail, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sohail macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2006

Im getting a macbook (white). i've got some basic questions to ask.

1) which mouse can i use with a macbook...any normal laptop mouse with usb, does macbook support those kind of mouse?

2) will there be a office suite like office xp in mac OS X or do i have to purchase it?

3) does macbook support USB pen drives?

thanks i will appriciate the replies..
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    1) Yes. Any USB mouse. Or any Bluetooth Mouse (credit post #3 by mpw)
    2) No. iWork comes with the MB but is only a trial version (or download OpenOffice for free).
    3) Yes. Any pen drive works.
  3. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    ..or any BlueTooth mouse.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    1. yes all USB mice will work (RF or Wired). if there are more than the 'standard' buttons you might have to find drivers for them. BT mice work too.
    2. no office suite comes with OS X just like none comes with Windows, there are many, many solutions depending on your needs/wants
    3. yes Thumb drives will work without a problem - few things to note though, if you're going to be swapping files with a Windows machine, make sure its formated for FAT so both OSes can read and write, if you're just going to be using it with your Mac, reformat it so that its uses the Mac formating for a bit better speed use.
  5. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Should also come w/ a trial version of Microsoft Office 2004.

That said, I've read good things about NeoOffice. :)
  6. sohail thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2006
    thanks a lot guys..that was helpful.
    again few more questions :)

1) can i work the word, powerpoint, exel files on Neo office? ( meaning, if i open the word document in OS X with NEO office will it open)

2) i just downloaded ms office for mac ( from torrents)..will that work if i install it.
  7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    Neo Office is great I put it on my younger brother's MacBook for university, you can open/save/edit 95% of Office files. It's free and it works so give it a try.
  8. sionharris macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2006
    let me get this straight... you're asking if ms office for mac will work on a mac? :rolleyes:
  9. sionharris macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2006
    it's worth noting that (apparently) some of the more advanced coding in Excel will not work in NeoOffice

also it is slow to load (because it opens all the apps in one)

and it crashes quite often (but you save your work frequently, right? so it won't be a problem)

there are a few niggly bugs but strangely some of these seem to be present in MS Office too, so perhaps they have 'borrowed' some of the code. tables are especially temperamental, but have the added bonus that you can easily insert formulae into them

all in all, though, it's pretty damn good for a free piece of software
  10. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    To be fair I find MS Office for Mac to be piss poor slow, I paid full price for it and simple don't use it. When I was doing my college work I resorted to TextEdit and was far happier with that over W - o - r - d.

Neo Office is what I use on my new MacBook and it seems fine, except that everytime I use the Goal Seek function it crashes, everytime.
  11. sionharris macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2006
    I used to use Word on my brother's old G5 and, although it was slow to open, it worked fine and was fairly nippy.
  12. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Mine was on a G3 and a G5 and was appalling. I'd touch type a sentence and find I'd be finished typing while it was beach-balling trying to keep up.