Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ant2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Hello,

I have just bought my ipad mini a few days ago. I am coming from a 4G iPod touch (retina).

I have a few questions:
I have paid apps and some free apps that I installed on my iPod touch. However, when I sync'd those apps with my mini some of them give me the full screen and some of them give me a small screen. There is a 2x that I can press but then the app is stretched and doesn't look very good. Is there any thing I can do about this. google maps is one of them

Another question:
The mini LTE comes with GPS and GLONESS.
How do I know which one I am using?
Is there any configuration to switch it on or off?
Do I need to switch on my LTE to get gps location. When I used the google maps without wireless and 3G. It didn't seem work very well.

Final question:
mini comes with digital compass but there is no app for it. Like there is for the iPhone. Why is there no digital compass built in app when the mini has a digital compass.

Many thanks for any advice,

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Hello,

I have just bought my ipad mini a few days ago. I am coming from a 4G iPod touch (retina).

I have a few questions:
I have paid apps and some free apps that I installed on my iPod touch. However, when I sync'd those apps with my mini some of them give me the full screen and some of them give me a small screen. There is a 2x that I can press but then the app is stretched and doesn't look very good. Is there any thing I can do about this. google maps is one of them

Another question:
Do I need to switch on my LTE to get gps location. When I used the google maps without wireless and 3G. It didn't seem work very well.

Final question:
mini comes with digital compass but there is no app for it. Like there is for the iPhone. Why is there no digital compass built in app when the mini has a digital compass.

Anything that gives you the option of "2x" is most likely an iPhone/iPod touch native application that is still technically compatible with your iPad. It was reported (during the iPhone/iPod touch release) that a Google Maps iPad application was more than likely to come out sometime soon -- so just be patient :)

There are lots of quality compass apps on the App Store.

jeffkempster

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
Hi,

Gps is a United States based navigation system. GLONASS is a Russian based navigation system.

If the app is an iPad app it will be full screen. If the app is an iPhone app it will run on the iPad at a smaller size and give you the 2x option. iPad apps are the best.

You do not need LTE or 3G to use the iPads GPS receiver. It helps lock on to the satellites faster for the first time, but it will work fine with out.

Hello,

I have a few questions:

Another question:

Final question:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.