questions with mac's Mail!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edge9in, Mar 3, 2004.

1. edge9in macrumors newbie

I have two questions about mac's Mail program.

1. Is the only way to get Apple's email service by buying a .Mac subscription?
    2. If buying .Mac is the only way to get Mail, then is there a way to add another user for Mail? Example: If I get .Mac then will I have to pay another $99 for my wife to have her own Mail account?

It would make things so much easier if apple would offer just there Mail program for like $20 a year. I would do that without even thinking twice. Oh well. :rolleyes: Thanks for your help! :p

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Mail and .Mac are completely separate. Mail is free, and you can use any email account with it, not just .Mac.

3. edge9in thread starter macrumors newbie

How is Mail free? It tells me that my login has expired.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

That's your .mac account, not mail.

.Mac is an internet service Apple offers for $99 a year.
    Mail.app is a program that comes with their operating system.

5. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Come on, we all know he's talking about .mac email, and not the mail program...i don't think he's that stupid.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

Come on, anything is possible :p.
    After all, if you have a .mac account set up in Mail.app youll realize its easier to set that up than any other account...

7. edge9in thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm talking about Mail through .Mac and not the actual Mail program that comes with every Mac. Sorry, I should have clarified that more.

8. edge9in thread starter macrumors newbie

If I was to buy .Mac, would I be able to set up a Mail account for myself and my wife without having to pay another $99 for her?

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

its $99 for the first person and $10 for each additional email address after that :p

10. edge9in thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mean to be stupid but how do I add someone? Like where do I go to pay the $10 to get someone added?

11. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

from Apple's .Mac FAQ's:

Mac members can purchase up to 10 additional email accounts for $10.00 each per year. Email-only accounts include 5 megabytes (MB) of storage space, which can't be increased. You can't add photo signatures to messages if you have an email-only account; and other .Mac services, such as iDisk, HomePage, Backup, and Virex, are not accessible to email-only accounts.

To add an email-only account, go to www.mac.com, then click Account in the .Mac menu bar. Click the Email Account Management button, then click Create New Account.

Fill out the "Create a new email account" form, then click Continue. Print your account information for future reference, then click Continue.

It's a piece of cake. And the really nice part is that Apple automatically syncs up your account, so that you can add e-mail-only accounts at any time and just pay a prorated amount, and then all of the accounts (main and e-mail-only) will come due for renewal at the same time.

12. edge9in thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you soooo much! That answers almost all my questions and I just want to clarify one thing...so If i sign up for .Mac on my iMac then I can add my wife with an email only account for $10 and she will be able to use the email through her Mail program on her iBook? Meaning, both of us don't have to use the same computer for email. I know this is really dumb of me but I just want to make sure before I fork out the $99.

13. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

You are correct.