Quetsions about my Mini VGA port..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DangerDiabolik, Dec 22, 2003.

1. DangerDiabolik macrumors member

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, that's a video out only. I believe it will connect the mini-VGA output from your video card to either an S-Video or the yellow video part of the standard red/white/yellow AV connection on older stereos. At least I hope so, that's how my wife is planning on getting video from her iBook to a TV for presentation work.

You need a Dazzle or something similar to capture video.

3. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

You're right, I've got one. That's only for outputing video. It's got RCA video out, and S-video out. I've also got a cable that splits the audio from the headphone jack into RCA audio. Then I can put audio and video on my TV.

4. DangerDiabolik thread starter macrumors member

well can i use that to output my video stream, and just hook a cable for my audio and put that in my mic jack ?

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Wait people....that adapter (pictured) will adapt an apple proprietary "Mini-DVI" plug that comes on the iBooks and the iMacs to s-video and composite (RCA) video output. This adapter will not take a mini-vga and turn it into a composite/s-video output.

This is a mini VGA plug:
    [​IMG]

This is the Apple output (Labeled "RGB output")
    [​IMG]

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Just to add to the confusion...

The video out port (that's being referred to as a mini-VGA port above) is not a mini-DVI port. They're two different things. The 12 inch powerbook is the only apple product (to my knowledge) to use the mini-DVI port. Looks almost identical to the video out port, and the connector pictured above is also almost identical - for both the video out port and the mini-DVI port. When that sort of adapter is used, you get S-video and (yellow, video only) RCA output, as noted above. My girlfriend's got the iBook (video out) adapter, and I've got the 12 inch PB mini-DVI version. The adapters are NOT COMPATIBLE. So if you still want video out, make sure you don't get the mini-DVI adapter.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yes, you can use the Apple mini-VGA port to export video to a VCR or TV, and use a stereo cable to export the audio for recording. However, this will not import video at all.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think you are mixing computers up here. The iBooks and iMacs have mini-VGA, not mini-DVI. One is a digital signal, the other is not. (The mini-DVI is digital.) the mini-DVI comes on the new 12"PBs. And AFAIK that adapter shown at the top of this thread will allow you to connect either an S-video or an RCA video-only connection to your external monitor (most likely a TV with those connectors, the mini-VGA to VGA adapter for a computer monitor comes with the iBook).

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Sorry people, I was confused, Macatastic has got it right. ::Kick's self in ear::