Quick and Dirty file backup command

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Trekkie, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

I'd like to have a command either in the terminal or the applescript or whatever that would do the following:

Copy all iTunes Music Store Files from my Music folder & it's subdirectories and put them in a specific directory with the heirearchy intact ignoring the copy if files there exist and haven't changed.

I thought I could accomplish this with the CP command and have tried various forms of

cp -r /sourcedir/*.m4p /destdir -r and get *.m4p not found

Any suggestions?

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I'm not at my Mac right now to test this, but I'll throw out a guess.

Your searching for files that are .m4p when you have .mp3 or something other.

I know that when I open the 'iTunes Music' folder, I am presented with multiple folders that a labeled by the artist's name, so the cp command doesn't know to look in those sub directories, only the 'iTunes Music' folder.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, you don't need the *.m4p or the second -r.

cp -r /sourcedir /destdir

That command will copy everything, regardless of whether it exists or has changed. There's a utility called psync which is just what you're looking for. Here's a manual for psync.

4. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Actually, I do need the *.m4p because I don't want to copy the 30GB or so of *.mpa because I already have my ripped CD collection in Apple Lossless backed up somewhere. These are my compressed for my iPod collection that I don't want/need backed up

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Here's one solution. Assuming you want backup of all .m4p files in the iTunes folder and that you wish to put your music in a directory named ~/iTunesBackup (the ~ will automatically expand to your home-directory)

cd ~/Music

This changes directory to the Music directory.

find iTunes -type d -exec mkdir ~/iTunesBackup/{} \;

This will ensure that the same directory hierarchy in the backup-folder exists as in the iTunes folder.

find iTunes -regex .*m4p -exec cp -n {} ~/iTunesBackup/{} \;

This will copy all files which name ends in m4p into the ~/iTunesBackup folder. Yes .*m4p is correct, because it is a regex and the .* means the same thing as * does in normal shell patterns. The -n option will make it skip files that already exist. You can put this procedure in a bash script to make it easier. Create a file (named backupMusic.sh) with the following content:

#!/bin/bash

cd ~/Music
    find iTunes -type d -exec mkdir ~/iTunesBackup/{} \;
    find iTunes -regex .*m4p -exec cp -n {} ~/iTunesBackup/{} \;

Save it and then run:
    chmod a+x backupMusic.sh
    This makes the script executable. To run the script, just type:
    ./backupMusic.sh

6. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

I believe you mean...

*.mp4 = aac files
    and not
    *.m4p = nothing

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Nope, not quite...

*.m4a = aac files OR apple lossless files
    *.m4p = protected aac files
    *.mp4 = mpeg-4 video files

8. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

LOL that's funny I knew the .m4a and I still got that wrong.. I wonder what world I was in.