Quick Bootcamp question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ghall, Dec 8, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So, I should be picking up a copy of Windows XP today, so how big should my Windows partition be if I was to use Windows for gaming, and school work? By the way, I have a 160GB drive that has about 62GB left.

EDIT: Oh, and another quick question: Can I use my airport card for wireless internet in Windows?

2. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

If you're only going to use windows for gaming, I'd recommend you not to get reserve too much space for it. You can get macdrive and through that you can install and run your games from your os x partition.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Is 20GB enough?

What's macdrive?

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

depend on how much gaming... one mid sized game nowadays runs about 3~5 GB

i have my bootcamp partition for 30, and have external hdd that has a FAT32 partition for 50... i use it for game only... i like to have at least 10GB unused on the HDD at any given time.. so 30 might work for you

try to stay under 32 if you can, that's the highest XP can partition for FAT32, which can be read by OS X if you need to

and i would not try to use OS X partition to store the XP stuff, you want to avoid crossing OS as much as possible (but to share music, documents and stuff is fine)

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Most of my games will be older, like SimCity 3000, and Final Fantasy VII, so I'm thinking 20GB should be enough. I'll also be using RPG Maker XP.

6. annexw macrumors newbie

You airport card should work fine in XP. The bootcamp drivers include it in the load.

Have fun!

7. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Sweet, thanks for you help everybody. Now I just have to learn how to use Windows again. :D